Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sunset Fishing @ Nusa Dua, Bali

No one could have guessed what we did in Bali. The moment we checked into our hotel, Hubby went through all the travel brochures we grabbed from the airport and decided to make this trip a memorable one for me. Something extraordinary: deep sea fishing! Hubby knew that I am hooked with this new hobby and frustrated at the same time as I have not caught anything decent apart from the infant tilapia. Immediately, he called to book for the trip which costs 640,000 Rupiah or RM192 per person and we were told that to date, none of their customers went back empty handed. Furthermore, we will be guided by an expert fishing guide, so why worry? With that assurance, Hubby went ahead with the booking. The package also comes with return transfer from the hotel, fishing gear, drinks and dinner.

We were picked up from our hotel at 4 p.m. sharp and headed straight to Nusa Dua, about 40 mins from Kuta. We were the only couple signed up for the trip, hence we got the boat all for ourselves. Now, isn't that great?

Nusa Dua is another popular tourist area with many luxury 5-star resorts lining along the beach. It is more peaceful and quiet here as compared to Kuta. Since it was low-tide, we walked straight to our boat. It was a beautiful sunny evening, proved that my prayers were answered.
P8030284

The naive me thought that it will be a big luxury yacth. Well, I was so excited and chirpy that day so it didn't really bothered me much.
P8030285

About 15 minutes away from the coast of Nusa Dua, the 'fishing expert' who accompanied us took out all the fishing equipments and started putting the baits for us. I was so excited and almost requested him to speed things up!
P8030291

The sea was rough and choppy that day. Bad sign! Anyway, since they said no one went back empty handed before, I was not worried at all.

Hubby: Yummz.....I hope they have some wasabi and soya sauce cos am going to have my fish raw!
P8030292

I felt a sudden jerk and immediately I reeled in the line. It was really heavy and I had to struggle quite a bit with the weight. You just cannot imagine how excited I was as the fish I caught must be really big! And guess what I caught?

Tada....a bag-full of seawater. Salt anyone? BUMMER! More of such incident happened with seaweed. Was told that presence of seaweed is not good, meaning NO FISH! We were like WHAT?? We tried a few location but the seaweed kept tangled with our line. The 'fishing master' was a bit frustrated too. But I didn't give up, I knew I have to be patient.
P8030293

After spending an hour on the boat, I can feel that my tummy began to feel weird. My head was spinning. SEASICK! I wanted to throw up but I cannot do that cos I had A LOT OF HOT AND FIERY BIRDS' EYE CHILIES for lunch! So I tried to be very very quiet, looking at the sky while praying hard that I will catch at least 1 fish.

Tick tock...tick tock...tick tock...tick tock...

It was supposed to be sunset fishing trip, hence, when the sun goes down, that would be the end of our fishing trip. I guess they pitied us and asked if we would like to stay longer, we gave up and requested for them to send us back. Adding salt to our wound, the driver told us that he is surprised that we didn't catch anything as the day before, the customer managed to catch a big fish. Grrrrrr!!!
P8030295

I guess we broke their record for being the first to go home empty handed. Well, not exactly empty handed as we were given a box each; our dinner! This would be our most expensive dinner ever cos all we get was some cold fries, a dry chicken pattie, a small piece of watermelon and a nausea stomach. But am still very glad Hubby arranged the trip for me, it is the thought that counts. Thank you Hubby!
P8030301

Something off the track, well, not exactly off but just want to share on my fishing trip last Saturday near my place in Setia Alam. We decided to join the group of Indonesians fishing at the pond since they have so much luck in getting one fish every few minutes even with using a broom stick as fishing pole!!! We were so well-equipped (with bags and accessories box), ended up a few Indonesians even approach Hubby to buy some hooks from him.
P8090354

Spent more than an hour there and proud to announce that I have caught my 2nd fish! An infant tilapia which I contributed to their dinner! I guess from now on, they are more than happy to see me there.
4

Next post will be the last of my Bali trip. Food-related ;)

18 comments:

Life for Beginners said...

More practice and you will be a champion fisherman, er, fisherwoman for sure! :D

Henry Yeo said...

actually you would have more like off the pacific island like Tonga or even Fiji.

Anonymous said...

aiyakkkkkkk sorry to hear u got back from the boating & 'fishing' trip empty handed....

But... it's the nice thought of hubby that counts... Hugssss to Hubby.... :))

patience, and persistence, sis.....

add oil add oil!!!!!!!

Pam

wmw said...

I predict you will get a fish bigger than your usual infant tilapia on your next fishing adventure! :o)

backstreetgluttons said...

your adventure in sea fishing in far away land is excellent for your next excursion homeground. Your record in Bali still stands ...coz the biggest one just got away

Precious Pea said...

kenny: I certainly hope so...sigh!

henry: My friend grew up in Fiji and she said tuna is abundant there. But too far...i think i shall try to master the skill at local pond before venturing out.

Pam: Sigh..yalor..i was full of confidence that we could at least get something...aiii..but nevertheless, am very happy Hubby arranged the trip for me. :)

wmw: Hahaha..thanks! I hope so too since i guess nothing could be smaller than infant tilapia since newborn are still in eggy form and baby fish too small to eat my baits. SO sad hor?

bsg: Teruknya..somemore laughing at us. Well..I won't give up that easily. Will be trying my luck at Gold Coast soon!

Live2Talk said...

Err no refund for empty handed catch?

mama bok said...

Nevermind.. next time.. :)

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

shoot, tt's a real bummer! i find our asian fishes very hard to catch. they r too suspicious whereas those in cold waters r very trusting n so r easy to catch.

ling239 said...

nvm... at least the sunset is cool ~ ^_^

mimid3vils said...

Pity u...went back disappointedly~~

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahahaha...but its the opposite with crabbing in australia..the nite we went when it was crazy windy and cold, we caught a basket full of crabs!..but on a still n peaceful nite..no crabs..

Shell (貝殼) said...

sometime, fishing also depends on luck..the chicken pattie is not bad too^^

Vennesa said...

i wish i can be there, out of this pressure stone city~ hmmm.... sunset at least a new hopes sign!!!

CUMI & CIKI said...

erm, i never get seasick, so all i can say is.. i cannot imagine! poor u! excellent shot of the sunset btw. lovit :D

Big Boys Oven said...

walio, I think I will die within a few seconds on the boat! lol!

daphne said...

how exciting and then the disappointment! But u r right, it is the thought that counts and u 2 hv the memory for life that he was so sweet to u. =)

Sam's mistress said...

Awww... sorry you didn't catch anything. Your pictures are so beautiful though, and such a stunning sunset! Glad you didn't get too seasick. Never fun!

I can tell you're having a good time, though! Can't wait to read more!
Cheers!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online