Monday, September 29, 2008

COCONUT CENDOL JELLY

Coconut! That is the secret ingredient for Weekend Wokking in the month of September. Hmm..what should I cook? Should I use dessicated coconut? Or coconut water? Or coconut flesh? Or coconut milk? So versatile yet so difficult to decide. I want to do something simple yet delicious. Something that is unique and Malaysian. Something that is cold and sweet.

Finally I decided to do a bit of 'conversion' to my all-time favourite Malaysian shaved-ice dessert, Cendol (pronounced as 'Chen-doll')! This original local dessert is served with shaved iced with cendol and coconut milk mixture pour all over the ice and lastly drizzled with melted gula melaka (palm sugar). Nowadays we can find a variation of cendol that comes with kidney beans, red beans, durian, pulut or glutinous rice and even a scoop of ice-cream!
IMGP1675_edited

Using the same main ingredients, I transformed it into jelly so that I could enjoy it anytime of the day. The ingredients are:

25 gram
Agar-Agar (soak and squeeze away the water)
200 ml Coconut Milk
1 packet Cendol
100gm Gula Melaka / Palm Sugar
2 cups White Sugar (or according to taste)
2 pcs Pandan/Screwpine leaves (tie a knot)
1.4liter Boiling Water
*Note: Kindly ignore the dog in the background. Dog is definitely not being used in this recipe!
1

Cendol is made of rice flour formed into tiny strands. Usually, pandan/screwpine leaf is used to give the dough a nice flavour and of course, for the colour as well. I tend to avoid those with bright green as artificial colouring is being used. Good cendol should be light green in colour. Give it a good rinse and drain well.
2

Once the water is boiled, put in the pandan leaf and the agar-agar. Boil till the agar-agar melts. Using another small pot, put aside about 1/4 (approximate 8 soup ladle) of the mixture and set aside. Throw away the pandan leaf.
4

With the remaining 3/4 of the agar-agar mixture, pour in the white sugar according to your taste. I usually cut down on the white sugar so that I can use more of the palm sugar later on. Once the sugar melts, put in the coconut milk. Remember to lower your fire so that the mixture doesn't spill all over and also to avoid the particles from the coconut milk to break, hence becoming oily.
5

Pour the coconut mixture into a mould (I used a baking tin) and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Add the cendol into the mixture and give it a good stir.
6

Next, bring the 1/4 agar-agar mixture to boil to melt the palm sugar. Try to get good quality palm sugar as it makes a lot of difference to your food. I remembered once my palm sugar tasted burnt and bitter! I got mine from Tesco and luckily it was not prepacked, hence I did something really terrible. I scrapped a bit off to taste before buying it! Anyway, I love the aroma of the palm sugar so I tend to use more of it to sweeten the jelly.
8

Using a fork, lightly scratch the surface of the white jelly so that when the palm sugar mixture is poured over, it will stay on firmly.
9

Lastly pour the palm sugar mixture onto the coconut jelly and let it cool to set. Remember to chill it before serving.
10

Mmm...I just love the top layer which is so fragrant and complements perfectly with the rich coconut layer and not forgetting, the strands of pandan flavoured cendol.
11

The roundup will be up on 1 October 2008, so do drop by again to take a peep at all the delicious and lip-smacking dishes from all over the world using coconut as one of the key ingredients!

26 comments:

daphne said...

darn. I missed this event! Argh..

Nevertheless, I wouldnt mind having a few of that agar agar! It looks soo good..have to hide this frm AR, he LOVES coconut and will probably kick me for not entering!

ai wei said...

wahhhh.. can i have a bowl!

this is great as u include all the pics of working steps as well.

hope my post qualified lar (emmm... to be posted up soon) :P

Wandering Chopsticks said...

This looks so good. Vietnamese have something like the cendol too. I remember in college the Malaysians used to go to our booth during the International food festival to get their fix. :P Love the step by step directions, I'm growing on you huh? :)You're right about the palm sugar. I tried the drink version of this once but the palm sugar was way burnt and bitter and I didn't like it.

Christy said...

That's really good....creative!!:D
Bravo bravo Precious Pea....you have my vote...hehehe :)

Life for Beginners said...

Wah so pretty! I especially like the first shot of the cendol... like nice fat green worms... edible ones, of course. Hehe.

I'm so having me some iced cendol in Melaka tomorrow! :D

Precious Pea said...

daphne: Aww..never mind, you can always participate in the next round. The secret ingredient for next month will be reviewed tomorrow (1 Oct) so pop by again to check it out ok?

ai wei: Waiting to see how your chiffon cake turned out. Wanna do a barter trade? ;)

wandering chopsticks: Yes, I used to get my cendol fix in Melbourne at Viet restaurant, those 3 colour ice drink! But i don't like coconut cream they put in, thick and a bit 'oil' taste. Palm sugar is so addictive, taste so good just to eat it like that, of course not advisable as afterall, it's still sugar.

christy: Thank you thank you :)

kennymah: Eeeee....LUCKY YOU!!! Please have 3 bowls on my behalf. Drive carefully and enjoy your Raya break!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wat can i say..*waiting patiently* b4 ur nxt invite to ur makan makan event!

ai wei said...

eh, good idea, let's exchange the products we made :P

CUMI & CIKI said...

wa.. so clever you... transformed, solidified cendol.. so u can eat it anytime! excellent idea. great for hot days..

barbie said...

OMG, u make it look so easy! I'm so tempted to attempt this, but knowing my skills, sure gonna turn into an unrecognisable lump! But it looks so good... and I think Pumpkin (that's him, right?) knows it too... :-D

Denise ^ ChiCkyEGG said...

eh now i know the why the layers of jelly can 'glue' so fimly. use fork to scratch lightly ah! ok ok i got the tips here!

nice recipe! i will print out this recipe

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: I still need to experiment more new dishes before I can invite you guys over. I ran out of decent 'dishing' that i could serve leh!

ai wei: Deal!

cumi and ciki: My mum told me agar-agar is cooling to the body. Perfect for our weather. But then again, i prefer the real thing ANYTIME! Haha!

barbie: This recipe is too easy to go wrong. Yes, that is Pumpkin. Nowadays I wonder why each time he see the camera in my hand, he will surely go crazy and barking like mad in front of me. Even when I try to take a pic of Pea, he will surely stood right in front so that I take him instead! And becos I was leaning on the kitchen top to take the photo, he went to the opposite side so that he can be in front of me! Weird dog!

denise: Yes as at times, the upper and lower layer might separate. Do try and let me know how it goes.

Jocelyn said...

dropping by ur blog. nice ~ u make me feel like asking my mummy to make the cendol jelly too ~ =x

ilene said...

Cendol, my mum's favourite. How she would make me take her to go around housing estates to look for cendol, in her last few weeks. Unfortunately, couldn't find any and so I ended up buying 'mak chok', 'hak low mai', 'hong tau' and 'loke tau' - a variety for her to choose from! Then she tells me she wants bubur cha cha! Should have come to you for cendol!

P/S: Your dog very vain hor?! See you take camera only quickly pose for you liow! Some more know which angle to go to! hahaha!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

this is so clever! 3-in-1 cendol agar of 3 yummy ingredients set in a delightful jelly. u have my vote!

Precious Pea said...

jocelyn: Thanks for popping by! Why don't you make some to impress your mum? :)

ilene: So sorry to hear about your mum. I hope you are feeling much better now. Hahaha...yalor..he love posing in front of my camera.

terri: Hehe..thank you.

sc said...

wow, looks very delicious! have been years since i made agar agar.. how long ago...hmmm, 10 years?

Hazza said...

I love this dessert! Seems to simple, but I cant get Malaysian palm sugar where I am. If I got the Chinese made palm sugar (in light brown blocks), will it taste the same as gula melaka?

ICook4Fun said...

I just love this kind of dessert especially with coconut milk in it. This look so great and wish its that easy for me to make it. To do this I have to make the cendol from scratch. Too much work :)

Precious Pea said...

sc: Hahaha...i used to find agar-agar a luxury treat!

hazza: Chinese brown sugar if not mistaken is cane sugar right? Slightly lighter brown in colour. I like that too especially when used as tong yuen fillings. I guess that would be the best substitute for gula melaka.

icook4fun: I think i have the recipe for making cendol from scratch. If you keen of trying, i can dig it out for you.

myCoffee said...

One of the most delicious-looking chendol i have ever seen. If only I could taste it too.... ;-p

babe_kl said...

awww i forgot about this event, else could hv submit my sago gula melaka. always loved cendol agar2

Lady Vanilla said...

I love desserts cook with gula Melaka and coconut milk .
Your coconut cendol jelly certainly look yummy !

Precious Pea said...

mycoffee: Wahh..am flattered with your compliment! Ermm..you bring Julius over i give you one big tray to bring home. Deal? By the way, are you going for the MRDO???

babe_kl: Yumzz..i love sago gula melaka too. Basically, I live anything with gula melaka!

lady vanilla: Such wonderful combo isn't it??

Alex said...

Where can we buy that packet of chendol? Thank you in advance for the info

obat jerawat herbal said...

maknyuzz..

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online