Tuesday, October 21, 2008

PEA's 6 TREASURES PUMPKIN RICE

How can I not participate in the Weekend Wokking when I was given the priviledge to choose the secret ingredient for this month? I was torn between choosing SnowPea and Pumpkin, yes yes, both are the name of my two precious Princes, but finally I chose Pumpkin because it is more versatile and you can create savoury and sweet dishes from it. I seriously do not think one can make dessert out of Snow Peas!

My mum never cook Pumpkin cos she didn't like the sweet taste of it. I had my first taste of Pumpkin at the age of 19 when my bro-in-law roasted it together with some lamb shanks, and from then on, I do the same too!

Anyway, without any recipe to follow, I did something really brave. I came up with this 6-Treasure Pumpkin Rice based on my imagination. Why 6 and not 8-treasure? Well, I could only think of 6 key ingredients to make this dish, and simply adding in 2 more in which Hubby suggested salted fish and abalone (!!!!) would kill the taste.

The ingredients are:
(serves approximately 5 rice bowls)
1 1/2 cup rice (wash and drain)
150 gram Pumpkin (cut into small cubes)
2 tbs Dried Shrimp (soak, drain and coarsely chopped)
1 pcs of Chinese sausage (cut into small cubes)
6 slices of Roast Duck meat (sliced finely with skin intact)
1 tbs Garlic and Shallots (finely chopped)
3 pieces Dried Shitake Mushroom (soften and cut into cubes)

1

Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Put in the mushrooms, pumpkin and the chopped garlic and shallots and stir-fry it using medium fire.
2

When the wonderful aroma fills the air, put in the washed rice and give it a good stir. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt and a few dash of fish sauce (optional). Becareful not to add in too much salt as the dried shrimp and chinese sausage are salty.
3

Transfer the rice into your rice cooker. The amount of water would be the same as the amount you cook your white rice. For me, I used about 2 cup of water.
4

For the dried shrimp and chinese sausage, I did not add it into the rice to cook it together. Simply because I don't like my chinese sausage soft and tasteless, and same goes for the dried shrimp too. I want the flavour to remain as I bite into it, hence I sauteed it using a little bit of oil and put it aside. When you see bubbles forming, off the fire and wait for the rice to be cooked.
5

Once the rice is cooked and you hear the switch turn off from 'cook' to 'warm', immediately put in the sliced roast duck, chinese sausage and dried shrimp into the rice cooker. Close the lid, off the switch and wait for 5 minutes for the flavour of the ingredients to release into the rice.
6

Give it a good stir but gently! I was too rough and some of the pumpkin cubes ended up mashed! Best eaten warm and I sprinkled it with extra fragrant spring onions. Why extra fragrant? Cos it was homegrown using shallots.
7

The colour was enough to appease the eyes. The flavour of each ingredients blended so well too. I know self-praise is no praise at all, but I was really proud of myself. Hubby and Dad loved it so much and polished off everything in the rice cooker. 9

Do try out my recipe as it is so easy to cook. You can play around with the mixing and matching of ingredients and do tell me if you discover any nice combo!

8

If you wish to participate in the Weekend Wokking, do send your yummy Pumpkin dish to the host for November, Ning of
Heart and Hearth. Round-up is on Wednesday, November 5. So, please send your entry by 11:59 p.m., Sunday, November 2 to heartandhearth_blog (at) yahoo (dot) com.

38 comments:

Live2Talk said...

Bravo my dear! You finally cook something with Pumpkin ;P Definitely will try this when I'm in the cooking mood.

Ning said...

Wow Ivy! This fried rice looks so delicious! so fresh! Nice pics too! Thanks for your entry! Will keep you posted on the round-up! :)

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: Ahh..am sure you will like this dish! Do try it out.

ning: Thanks..looking forward to the round-up, sure lots of tasty dishes!

Ai-Ling said...

yum...gonna cook that for dinner tomorrow. thnx for sharing :)

ling239 said...

one of the reason u choose pumpkin i guess would be: this is the pumpkin season!!! ^O^

Precious Pea said...

ai-ling: Cool! Let me know how it turn out yah.

ling239: Yes..halloween is just around the corner!

Shell (貝殼) said...

Pumpkin + Dried Shrimp = perfect match..feel hungry now~~

Wandering Chopsticks said...

You don't need to self-praise because I'm praising you! Love everything about this dish. You always come up with the greatest recipes for Weekend Wokking! Yum!

Hey, you listed garlic and shallots as one ingredient, but that's two, so that makes 7 ingredients. Then spring onions on top makes 8. :)

Lady Vanilla said...

Look so delicious ! I can smell the fried dried shrimp and crispy chinese sausage from here......Hmmmm

Precious Pea said...

shell: Perfect combo isn't it? I find it so fragrant and sweetish savourish when I bite into rice.

wandering chopsticks: Hahaha! Garlic,shallots and spring onion counts too? Then it should be 9-treasure if i include the rice as well. Thank you for the praise and compliment..it was just a trial and error attempt as I was really worried of screwing up the rice and ended up with nothing to participate in WW.

lady vanilla: OOoo..yes, the aroma filled up my whole house, even upstairs!

emily.t said...

omg...your pics really make me drool la...I nvr like pumpkin after one bad experience with a pumpkin dessert long time ago...but with your recipe, I might give it a try someday...thx for sharing!

CUMI & CIKI said...

the colors look amazing! am sure it taste amazing too:D

Nic (KHKL) said...

OMG!!!! what coincidence! my mum cooked pumpkin rice for dinner last weekend!!! she used the same ingredients but instead of duck, she used spare ribs...and added yam as well!!! woah, shiok!

i hope u dont intend to cook the other pumpkin...hehehe...

PureGlutton said...

Nice colorful pics! I usually do the Yam version of this recipe... hmmm... pumpkin certainly is a good alternative and adds so much color and sweetness to the rice! Bravo!

Big Boys Oven said...

walio! this is good ler, I must put my hands into this recipe, looks good some more been proven good by Nic!

babe_kl said...

i love pumpkins and thanks for this wonderful idea ;-)

Precious Pea said...

emily.t: Do try and I hope you will like it.

cumi & ciki: Pretty isn't it? I love the colour..so lovely!

nic: Wow!! Yam and spareribs!!! Ok ok..i will give it a try again. Hehe..of course i would not cook the other 'pumpkin'. He is too precious! :)

pureglutton: I do think yam and pumpkin would create much different taste and texture. Both also I like! Slurps!

bbo: Hahaha..yes yes, you should. Such an easy meal and taste great too!

babe: I hope boiboi will like it too!

noobcook said...

I totally love this!! so many wonderful ingredients and the close up of the pumpkin rice makes me drool :D Hee this reminds me to prepare something for this month's ww soon =)

Jason said...

Wah, so pretty the colour!

Precious Pea said...

noobcook: So what are you going to make? Can't wait to see your creation!

jason: Nice right? Hmm..maybe i should do a rainbow rice one day consisting all the seven colours!

vialentino said...

hey, u cook that....that is great...i will try and follow ur recipe...see how mine will looks like

Tummythoz said...

Me no fan of pumpkin but you may have just converted me. Err how to slice/dice such a heavy vege (fruit?)?
Btw u always seems to have roast duck stocked up.

Jun said...

looks yum!!! i make u pumpkin soup to go with ur rice k? ^_^

Precious Pea said...

vialentino: Ahh..can't wait to see your end result!! Do let me know when you blog about it yah.

tummythoz: 150gram very little only. Get those cut oledi, one small piece will do. Don't buy whole pumpkin unless you wanna serve one big troop of armies. Hehehe..err..roast duck easily available mah!

jun: Deal! Eh, seriously, you think aussies will like pumpkin rice ar? you think if i open one stall selling only this, can sell ar?

Life for Beginners said...

I think I just died and went to heaven. I love yam rice and pumpkin rice... but Pumpkin Rice esp. is hard to find outside the family home.

Your version is definitely the most ingredient-filled I've seen thus far. You definitely do not skimp on the good stuff! :D

Oh, when oh when am I gonna get an invite to your lovely home again? *makes bambi eyes*

New Kid on the Blog said...

am having my lunch while reading this post... then I realize my lunch isn't taste good as your pumpkin rice!! :)

fatboybakes said...

DROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! all my FAVOURITE ingredients!!!! what rice you use ah? how some so long one the grain? basmati ah?

Precious Pea said...

kenny: Don't die first cos you still have not tried my pumpkin rice yet ;)

nkotb: Hahaha..so did you had for lunch?

fbb: Normal Beras Wangi only i think. Or is it Siam rice?? I also dunno. I always get lost with the thousands of brands out there. So i go according to how much i have in my purse.

tigerfish said...

I want! I want! Still got a bowl of rice left?

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: Left with the bowls only. Dad and Hubby polished off everything.

white on rice couple said...

This is just brilliant, beautiful and delicious! I have never thought about cooking pumpkin and adding it to rice, but why not? you did a excellent job!
AND I'm loving your garden pictures too!

zwan said...

Nice,lovely ... tried it today....good of you to share the recipe...thx.

Precious Pea said...

whiteonricecouple: Thank you for the lovely compliment. I like your garden more, so many good stuffs!

zwan: Cool! Glad you like it :) Thanks for trying.

BiologicalClockTicking said...

Hi fm Klang! Another food loving blogger!!! Anyways, hope you hv a great time honeymooning in Oz. Take care. :)

Food For Tots said...

I luv your "treasure"! Just cooked my own version of pumpkin treasure rice today and my pumpkins were also ended up mashed when I stirred it. Should I put it in half way during cooking?

Precious Pea said...

biologicalclockticking: Thanks for leaving me a comment. Sadly, am now back from Oz oledi.

food for tots: I guess you can do it that way or maybe cut it into bigger cubes? For photo taking, i would prefer the pumpkin to be in cubes but actually i don't mind it all mashed up with the rice. So tasty! Haha!

Recipe man said...

WOW! so much color and taste i love this! thanks

Simonne said...

I made it I made it!
It taste really good. In fact I make another variation with waxed duck.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online