Tuesday, October 14, 2008

KUAI LOK HIAN RESTAURANT @ Pulau Ketam (Part II)

Continuing from Part I of my Pulau Ketam excursion, the second part is entirely a review on our seafood lunch. Before the trip, I did a bit of research among food blogs but sadly, I only found a few of not-so-good reviews. Finally I found one place that is worth trying, Kuai Lok Hian Restaurant which is located right in front of the jetty; the best-looking, airest and cleanest restaurant I find in the island.
1


The only two reviews I found on this restaurant was pretty good; cheap, reasonable and tasty. Another bonus point would be their 8-Treasure Crab which was featured in a local food program "Ho Chak". Of course, I was very interested with their 8-Treasure Crab. Pre-order is required but even when I called two days earlier, upon seated I was told that they couldn't find any nice crabs that day, so no 8-Treasure Crab for us.
Sniff! I thought Pulau Ketam is full of crabs??!!

Upon the waitress recommendations, we ordered locally made fish balls (RM10) served in salty water, oppss, I mean salted veggie soup. I like the fish balls, sweet with the presence of real fish meat taste. It was slightly on the softer side, which is good. It means no preservative to make it bounce. As for the soup, the chef should be reminded to soak the salted veggie before served. Very very salty and sour! Nevertheless I still finished off the soup and drown myself with lots of Chinese tea later.
P9280875

When you are at a fishing village in which the population consists of mainly Hokkiens and Teochews, and you are told at a CHINESE seafood restaurant that their signature dish is Sizzling Prawns (RM20)...what do you think of? Definitely not Indian curry right? Well...tada...4 of us were shocked when this dish was laid on our table. The prawns were so fresh and sweet, why on earth did they spoil it that way? The gravy was not at all fantastic. Very thick, overpowering Indian curry powdery taste.

P9280870

Crabs! This dish was ordered to appease me cos I was the only one in the Gang that whack crabs like no tomorrow. I chose Kam Heong style (RM 28) but it was a very big mistake. I always said steamed crab is the best but since I can do it at home, when dining out I chose the style which is more complicated to make. Their Kam Heong style is very different. Lots of dried chillies, finely minced garlic and curry leaves were used. I suspect they stirfry the dried chillies to extract the oil. It was fiery hot and the minced garlic were burnt! So it was spicy, bitter and savourish. The crab itself was good; meaty and sweet. Ahh...I felt sad for the crab. P9280877

The meal was saved by this beauty! Steamed White Pomfret Teochew (RM24) style. I don't like Pomfret because of its fishy taste but this fish was so fresh, no fishy taste at all. Steamed to perfection and the gravy was good till the last drop! Yummy!
P9280879

When my Makan Gang ordered clams (RM 13), the lady boss recommended their special family recipe. Of course hearing that, we await with anticipation. We should be laughing at ourself for not learning from our mistake with the 'signature' prawns as the 'special family recipe' turned out to be dark soy gravy with dried chilies. I wouldn't even call it Kung Po with the non-existence of vinegar. Now I wonder who in their family passed this recipe down to them. Only credit was the cooked-to-perfection clams!

P9280885

Last dish saved the day too. Braised Fish Maws (RM38) with prawns and veggies. This was the most expensive dish we had that day, we were stressed on the price upon order. The fish maws were tasty especially when it absorbed the sweetness of the gravy. I was told by my Makan Gang that the fish maw we had were of good quality.
P9280882

Total bill including tea and fresh coconut for 4 came up to RM154.40. I expected the meal to be cheaper, well cos for 2/3 of that price, we can get much tastier seafood in Kuala Selangor.

Anyway, don't think there is a need to post up the address here as one would never miss this restaurant at the jetty unless you are airflown to Pulau Ketam. If you are interested to try the 8-Treasure Crab, do try your luck by calling 03-3110 4885 and ask for the price first!

23 comments:

Life for Beginners said...

Those clams look spicy as hell and should taste like heaven! *slurps!*

Maybe their idea of Kung Po was different? Hehe, so much for family secret recipes... :P

wmw said...

Hehehe...you truly the Queen of Crustacea!

worldwindows said...

Have not gone there as yet. Secret recipes? Esp. sauces - the same sauce goes into marinating meat for grill for cooking on the wok .... But I still love those fresh produce from the sea.

Precious Pea said...

kenny: I have nothing against Kung Po but with such fresh succulent clams, very wasteful to be cooked with that style. Furthermore, it wasn't even Kung Po! It was Kung Po wannabe! Haha!

wmw: Hehehe..i have to maintain my title.

worldwindows: I think I shall stick to steamed seafood now onwards.

Borneo Falcon said...

It's good you highlight the good and the bad food served there. At least we know which one to order in future

CUMI & CIKI said...

fish maw! love it when they are generous with it

J2Kfm said...

I still miss Sekinchan;s fish maws, came in a claypot, not as pricey, but BIG chunks of sweet fish maws. slurpilicious ....

noobcook said...

Food looks good even though you don't like some of them ... the fish maw got me drooling. Hope you get a chance to try their 8 Treasure Crab next time, it sounds interesting ;p

Pureglutton said...

Hmmm... no 8-treasure crabs! I guess can get the same type of food in Port Klang too, minus the hassle of the risky boat-ride, hehe!

Precious Pea said...

borneo falcon: Do stick to steamed seafood..safer that way. Well, provided if you like steam style.

cumi & ciki: Hahah..i know what you mean. The portion here on average but i eaten before whole plate full of fish maw in Melaka. But quality wise, this is better.

j2kfm: WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE in Sekinchan???!!!

noobcook: Seriously, I don't think i wanna go back to Pulau Ketam again. So i guess, i shall do my own 8-treasure crab then..hehe.

pureglutton: True true...the boat ride quite scary.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ok la..learnt my lesson here..not worth visiting hor..

Tummythoz said...

Aiya. Even the tone sounds sad compared to your Aussie trip posts. I've never been to Pulau Ketam before and now, I'll save the money to go Pantai Emas. Times are bad, every sen counts. =)

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I think I won't bother visiting Pulau Ketam since the seafood's not fantastic.

What a waste of fresh prawns. Should have just had it steamed with some ginger and rice wine hor? o_0

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Only unless you really nothing to do or no places to go lor.

tummythoz: Where is Pantai Emas???

bangsar-babe: Well, i guess we need to wait for more food bloggers to explore the place and let us know which restaurant there worth visiting. Agree...can't go wrong with steamed prawns!

chenboon said...

yummy yummy... a lot of delicious food... must bring empty stomach there... ha ha...

boo_licious said...

awww, sounds like they "killed" the fresh seafood taste away with their "family" sauces!

Precious Pea said...

chenboon: Errr, hope you will find some good food there.

boo: Well said well said!!!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Aww, I was expecting multiple courses of crab. Now I'm "crabby." Hehe.

Tummythoz said...

Oops thot can translate Gold Coast into Pantai Emas. =P

Precious Pea said...

wandering chopsticks: Hehehe..i was so crabby that I headed straight to get some live mud crab home yesterday to steam it for dinner. Oh..and I was actually dinnering alone cos hubby has got a dinner appointment ;)

tummythoz: LOL!! Aiyoo...apologies for my ignorance. Kakaka!

tigerfish said...

Your site always tempt me with all the seafood!

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: Hehehe..well you site also same...so many creative yummy home cooked food!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi PP,
U got the wrong restaurant. That one is the so called "tourist" restaurant, even most of pulau ketamese also dont like that place...if you want the cheap fresh tasty seafood...try the one opposite their town hall...besides that, there are more better restaurant further inside the village....but pls also avoid the 2 corner restaurant face each other when u enter the main street.
Try their nasi chili as well..if you get to reach there before 12pm. Its a very local "nasi lemak"...
I have a great experience there with the guide from a friend who is from pulau ketam...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online