Tuesday, November 25, 2008

AO NANG FISHING PARK & SEAFOOD RESTAURANT

On our 3rd day in Krabi, we checked out from our hotel and moved to Ao Nang, a popular seaside tourist area which is about 20 - 25 minutes ride away from Krabi town. We were told to take a Songthaew or a converted pick-up truck as taxi would cost a fortune. I think I mentioned before that it is difficult to find meter taxi there (I don't think they exist), so unless you have good bargaining skill, do not simply travel around with taxi. Our ride to Ao Nang only cost us 40 Baht per person.
1

We checked into Ao Nang Beach Resort, very strategically located in the heart of Ao Nang. Without wasting time, we immediately headed out to our destination; Ao Nang Fishing Park & Seafood Restaurant! Initially we had a bit of problem getting a transport. Although there were many taxi drivers hanging around the area, we were told that the cheapest return fare was around 400 Baht. There was one even tried to cheat us by telling us that our destination is far from Ao Nang, but thanks to my research, I told him that I know very well that this place is only 4km away from where I was standing. He was speechless! Finally, a tut-tut driver offered to take us there for only 200 Baht for return trip.
1

Our drive made a sudden stop midway, turned out that he needed to take a toilet break. Immediately I asked Hubby to jump onto the driver seat to pose. Am such an opportunist!
2

I didn't expect the journey to the fishing park would have to cut through a village and forest. The road was bumpy and luckily we had a skillful driver who swayed gracefully to avoid countless holes and water puddles.
3

Finally we arrived to our much-awaited destination! I guess I need not describe much how I felt at that moment.
4

When I walked in, I was stunned with the view that greeted me. I was at awe with the beautiful scenery. Claimed to be the only saltwater fishing park in Krabi, Ao Nang Fishing Park is nestled between towering karsts and surrounded by lush greeneries. Beautiful, so beautiful! Can you spot those huts? Yes, you can enjoy some privacy while fishing there.
5

For those who are not keen on fishing, I would still highly recommend seafood lovers to give this place a go. Fresh seafood is available at the restaurant which served lunch and dinner from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Initially, we didn't plan to dine at the restaurant as I thought it would be a 'cut throat' place but surprisingly after glancing through their menu, the food are reasonably priced!
18

For the fishing package, each fishing rod costs 400 Baht and you can fish the whole day from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Since it was already noon when we arrived and honestly, I didn't have high expectation that we will get any fish, we rented only one fishing rod to fish for fun. The package also came with one personal assistant (I shall name him Mr PA) who accompany us with a landing net, just in case we get any. Fish baits sold separately at 30 Baht for 4 pieces of small fish that looked like sardine or Indian mackeral to me. I was telling Hubby that "Geez, even the size of the bait is bigger than those infant Tilapia that we catch in Setia Alam". Mr PA helped us put on the bait as I diligently watch his every step. The size of the hook and the weight of the fishing rod was 5 times of what we had at home, and it strucked me then that we were in for some serious fishing.
7

The first fishing spot that I chose was a private hut complete with a hammock for Hubby to rest while I fish. We were lucky as the weather was breezy and cloudy that day, making the fishing experience even more enjoyable.
9

Hubby told me later that he actually didn't have much hope that I will catch anything. How wrong he was. Within minutes after casting in my bait, I felt my line jerked and immediately I pulled and reeled it in. I was confident that I caught something. It fought back. It was difficult to reel it in especially when the fish was pulling from left to right.
8

Finally, gotcha!! A huge Seabass or commonly known as Siakap in Malay or Barramundi in Australia. For a minimal top-up, we were given the option to bring home our catch or to have it cook at their restaurant. Otherwise, we would have to release it back to the lake. Mr PA told us that the fish I caught easily weigh around 2 kg. Too big for two of us so back it went into the lake.
10

Mr PA spotted a seabass right under our hut and asked me to put my bait in. True enough, within seconds I pulled up my second fish! It was so easy. Although it was smaller in size as compared to my first catch, I was very, very contented with my catch. Hubby was happy for me too as seen below with MY fish.
11

Another shot of my 2nd catch before releasing it back to the water.
PB091487

Luck ran out after my 2nd catch. I think the two released fellas must have informed their comrades not to go near our hut. Mr PA suggested to move nearer to the restaurant and since he is the expert, we just followed him to our new spot.
6

The fishes got smarter and they managed to finish off my baits yet avoided my hook. We bought another bag of baits and waited with hopes. Suddenly, I felt a jerk again and immediately I reeled in my line. It wasn't easy as my catch fought back real hard. The next thing I knew, the fish pulled my line to my right, twisted my thumb and it manage to free itself. It jumped out to the surface and the whole saga ended with a loud splash. Mr PA told me that it was a herring, a fighter fish which is not easy to catch. I was sad, so so sad.

A garoupa was watching us at the side of the lake while we fished. I made several attempt to lure the garoupa with my bait but he was very cautious, refusing to go near my bait although I can see from his face how tempted he was. Mr PA said that one needs to be patient to catch a garoupa, which sadly I am lacking of, so I turned my attention back to seabass and herring instead. There are many other species in the lake such as snapper, milk fish and I even spotted Soon Hock in their fishing net.
17

Mr PA was bored. He got nothing to do as long as we don't catch any fish. In the end, he took a fishing rod to help us fish. Each time he got a bite, he will pass the fishing rod over to us to let us reel it in. Err, is that 'cheating'? Hubby was more than happy to be given a chance to reel in a seabass.
14

I was getting hungry and so we decided to keep this beauty for lunch. Priced at 450 Baht, it was sold according to the weight at 50 Baht per 100 gram. I ordered to have the fish steamed Thai style.
16

After we finished off our baits, it started to drizzle. Right on time, our lunch was served! Everything looked so delicious. For starter, we had succulent fresh oysters at 50 Baht each. Instead of the usual lemon and tabasco sauce, we were given a plate of condiments consisting of lime wedges, chopped birds' eye chillies, raw garlic, fried shallots and Thai herbs. Just a few drops of lime juice was good enough for me. *At most time, I am actually not that adventurous with food*
19

I have no idea why they named Grilled Beef Salad as Waterfall but priced at only 90 Baht, I was happy with the generous portion of grilled beef and greens on the side. At first glance, the beef appeared dry to me but it actually tasted very tenderly good especially when dipped into their mixture of lemon, chillies and fish sauce.
20

Lastly, our seabass returned to greet us once again. Steamed with lemon-based gravy, the fish was dressed with GENEROUS amount of chopped garlic and birds' eye chillies, absolutely appetizing. Being a saltwater fish, the flesh was chunky and firm, almost comparable to scallop. I love the way it was served 80% cooked as by the time the candle dimmed, the fish was 100% perfectly cooked! Delicious and if I ever return, in which I would, I will definitely order this again.
21

After the scrumptious lunch, I spotted two cute and friendly puppies. They just couldn't stop checking me out by sniffing my clothes. They must have detected the smell of Pea and Pumpkin on my clothes.
23

After spending time playing with them, it was time to go. The two puppies sent us off to our tut-tut.
24

We bidded farewell and they gave me a sad look. I told them that I will be back one day, and I knew by then, they would be all grown up! C'ya soon Boys!
25

It was such a great and fruitful trip for us. Certainly makes our Krabi trip so much more memorable. I can still feel the excitement of pulling up the Seabass. I can still recall vividly the taste of the fish. The next time when I come to Krabi, I will definitely spend the whole day here.

Aonang Fishing Park is located at:
109 Moo.4 Noppharat Thara Soi 12

Ao Nang Muang Krabi 81000 Thailand

Phone: (66) 089.866.2026 or (66) 081.797.1604
Contact: Khun Sayan


33 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

u found a gem of a place. it's beautiful n i love fishing too. and steamed barramundi.

Live2Talk said...

the queen of fish is back and next time maybe you can err try pulling up a mini sharky tale ;P

Life for Beginners said...

Wah, I like how your hubby becomes your model in your travel campur makan posts. I think we underestimate how important it is to have a partner as adventurous as we are hor. ;)

The puppies are SOOO CUTE, btw. Got names or not? If not, let me name them Chalk and Kapur cos they are so pristine white. Hehe.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i just had this steamed siakap same style at BV...aiyoyo..so addictive yet numbing!!

Moon said...

i am getting a fan of your blog, chasing yr blog like chasing the Hong Kong drama, hahah! You made each trip sound so interesting that i am so so so tempted to pay a visit. ;-)

J2Kfm said...

this is sooo fun.
you seem to have beginner's luck (not really a beginner now, are u?) when it comes to fishing n such.

you caught crabs a lot last time right?

the puppies are deadly. cute, I mean. how adorable ...

noobcook said...

wah the oysters at only 50 baht each and comes with such nice condiments ... I want :D~~

Precious Pea said...

terri: Any good fishing place in KK? I don't mind visiting KK again, such a beautiful relaxing place to be. It would be so nice going fishing with you, i bet we will be so busy talking than fishing.

live2talk: Eee..no no no. I don't like sharks. Evil looking!

Kenny: Actually I am very blessed to have a Hubby who enjoy doing things that I like, i.e. travel, food, fishing, snorkeling, dogs (he only love pea and pumpkin) and etc. It makes a lot of difference if you travel with a compatible companion. Hahaha..i like the names you suggested. They actually offered me the dogs but don't think Pea and Pumpkin will be please to see Kapur and Chalk.

NJoe: Very addictive stuff, isn't it?

Moon: Hahaha...wahh, am so flattered to be compared against HK drama. Thank you for your support and do hope you will continue to come 'chase' my episode yah!

j2kfm: I am a seasoned tilapia fisher but for really big fish, am a beginner. Not easy cos the fishing rod so heavy, you really need a lot of strength to reel in the line. But practice makes perfect right?? Yes, crabs were in Gold Coast.

Precious Pea said...

noobcook: Cheap hor? Very fresh too cos they scoop out from the water and open it right before serving.

Nic (KHKL) said...

love the view of the mountain! with a beer in hand somemore...woah, great stuff!

i think hor, you must change your title already lar. from queen of crab to queen of seafood cos you've covered it all! :D

Linda said...

OMG I can always depend on you for my seafood fix LOL.. My last trip to bangkok, had bad experiences with tuk tuk drivers, seems like you were lucky to get a good one.

jason said...

The garoupa looked like a python's head :S

And guess you really have fate with seabass :)

Tummythoz said...

I have so so so underestimated Krabi's offerings. *sob-sob* while accessing flight promos.

CUMI & CIKI said...

oh the dogs are too cute!

Precious Pea said...

Nic: Perfect combo isn't it? The Singha beer was to comfort Hubby who didn't have much chance to fish. Queen of Seafood? Nah..still long way to go before i could claim that title.

Linda: Let me guess, you must have asked to go to a particular restaurant for dinner but they took you to kill-throat tourist seafood restaurant instead??

jason: With my expertise, i think seabass is the easiest among all to catch.

tummythoz: I also just went to check check if any cheap tix for next year...don't have err...sob sob!

cumi&ciki: Cute hor? Almost wanted to give them hugs and kisses but then again, dare not cos not sure if they are jabbed. And Pea and Pumpkin would be so upset if i bring back unfamiliar dog smell with me.

MochaSourcream said...

Picture No.6 is nice!!!
The reflection on water...

UnkaLeong said...

Cute Puppies. Nam Tok nuea. I also have no idea why they are called waterfall beef. But taste good hor?

550ml jar of faith said...

Ooh so lovely! I've heard mixed reviews about Krabi as a destination but you've made it sound like an absolute must-see! Those pups are just darlings!

Precious Pea said...

mochasourcream: I like pic no. 6 too. So beautiful.

unkaleong: Hmm..maybe the origin of the dish? Cow jumped off waterfall and people found the dead cow and grilled it? Hahahaha!!! WHo cares as long as it's tasty!

550ml jar of faith: Like you, i heard lots of review that Krabi is boring and not worth going. But personally I find it such a nice place. Definitely a place in my 'revisit list'.

PureGlutton said...

Wahh...u can read fish face also ahh?? Like the way u said the garoupa was so tempted by the bait, LOL!
Glad you enjoyed your fishing outing... but then, don't u feel sayang to eat the fella u just caught??!

*Anton* said...

Kinda guessed that you would be going there, since it was featured in The Star Section 2 just before you left :)

So, when/where's your next trip le?

Precious Pea said...

pureglutton: Hahaha..actually when we put the bait near to the garoupa, it wanted to go near it but then also scare. So can see the fish is tempted to eat but smart enuff to know it's a bait lor.

Anton: Actually the one featured in The Star is Gilham, very very very pricey with long long list of rules. But of course, they have gigantic fish! Next trip? Macau/Hong Kong coming Feb, if my gatal hand can resist AirAsia's temptation not to book any in Dec/Jan lor.

tigerfish said...

Why does he look so sian on the bike? ;p

Linda said...

You're right on PP, not only that, but on the way to the touristy restaurant, he kept stopping at jewellery stores, asking us to just have a look. He must have taken us to 5 stores, before we told him off.

Lin-lynn said...

:D

It's called waterfall beef because prior to grilling, the beef is soaked in pineapple juice as a tenderiser. Then later when they start grilling the beef, apparently the pineapple juices dripping down looks like a waterfall.

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: If you notice, most of hubby's photo also same expression.

linda: Haha..yes...pisses me off too. There was a time we refused to go and the tut tut driver stop and dump us off.

lin-lynn: Ahhh...thanks for the info!

sc said...

i can almost 'taste' the steamed fish, so delish looking. oh, and the picture with the puppies trailing behind your hubby is just so sweet!

PureGlutton said...

Hey, I have something for you at my post:
http://pureglutton.blogspot.com/2008/11/omg-awards.html

That's becoz i really enjoy reading about all your food & travel adventures! :-))

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

i never liked chain mail, n never participate in them. but i've just tagged u.

My Food Safari said...

Beautiful spot and fishing at the same time. Is it a lake?

white on rice couple said...

I'm all over that Singha beer and the amazing fresh fish! I just love seeing fish markets all over the world! Thank you!

Precious Pea said...

sc: I like that picture too. The pups were tripping on one another. So cute.

pure glutton and terri: Oh dear..am tagged! Luckily on the same thing too. I hope that would still be 7 and not 14. hahaha!

my food safari: I believe it's a man made fishing pond.

white on rice couple: Thanks :)

vacationphysiomom said...

Hi PreciousPea,
I love your write up on this vacation in AoNang. Leaving tomorrow frm Malaysia to fly there. Thks for sharing. Will give a try. Not sure if hubby & I will hav the same luck like you guys...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online