Wednesday, November 19, 2008

GOOD MORNING KRABI!!

Our hotel didn't provide us with breakfast and I was more than glad that they didn't. Who needs hotel breakfast when there are array of cheap and delicious local delicacies awaiting for me to savour?

Searching for breakfast in Krabi town was a bliss! On our first morning in Krabi, we were rushing for time because of our morning Phi Phi Island trip, hence we didn't walk too far to look for food. Right around the corner, I spotted a noodle shop from afar. With the neatly arranged trays of meat and pork spare parts and the fresh greens displayed at the stall, it looked so promising.
PB081240

I was even more convinced when I spotted these laminated newspaper cuttings. Luck must be on my side for discovering this gem! For those who are interested to try, I am sorry that I didn't manage to get the address but if you are staying in City Hotel (recommended), turn right at the hotel entrance, go straight till you reach the first junction and turn right. Go straight and you will see this shop on your left which is right next to a Roti Canai shop.
PB081232

I was grinning when my bowl of vermicelli soup was put in front of me. Generous servings of minced porkballs, slices of tender pork meat, soft pork stomach and chunky cubes of pig's congualated blood. Despite pointing at the pork liver and intestine and said NO NO...the boss still put some into my portion. Luckily Hubby who doesn't eat the congualated blood happily swap it with my pork liver and intestine.
PB081234

I expected the soup to be rich with pork flavour but I was very disappointed. Bland and diluted. I suspect we were too early since it was only 7.00 a.m. But don't worry cos the fish sauce saved the meal. After a dash or two, ok, make it three and four, the porky soup turned to octopus flavoured soup! I am so in love with fish sauce!
PB081239

On our 2nd morning, we decided to visit the local wet market as I wanted to get some fish sauce and glutinous rice to bring home. I love visiting wet market whenever I travel and am so glad that the Maharaj Market is located just 5 minutes walk away from our hotel. Hubby told me that Maharaj Market is the biggest market in southern Thailand.
PB091461

Apart from perishable products like veggies, fruits and meat, we also found the back portion of the market was filled with row after row of food stalls and with plenty of chairs and tables for diners to eat on the spot! It was fun strolling from one row to another to check out the goodies before making a decision on what to have.
PB091459

I was torn between the fresh fish fillet porridge stall with long long queue and the ever-tempting pork knuckle rice. In the end, I couldn't resist the pork temptation.
PB091463

I was glad that the pork knuckle rice didn't disappoint us. The meat was tender and the gravy was good. It was served with braised egg, boiled kailan and salted pickled vegetables. It was delicious!
PB091465

I have been eyeing this pork noodle shop located right opposite my hotel since day 1. I told Hubby that no matter how full I am, I would regret if I don't give it a try.
PB091469

I would really kick myself if I didn't try. It turned out SO good! The soup was flavourful even without any added fish sauce. It was so aromatic, guess why? Crispy lard was added into the soup!!! The meatballs were bouncy and the pork fillet was sweet and tender! I enjoyed the noodle and at the same time, busy complimenting the owner for the noodle. I gave my thumbs up to the owner on my way out.
PB091468

Last morning in Krabi was a bit sad as we spent the 3rd night in Ao Nang which is catered more for Caucasian tourists. It was almost impossible to locate local food for breakfast and I was against the idea of having American breakfast at premium price. Suddenly I recalled of the bread I saw in 7 Eleven the night before and so we grabbed this for breakfast "Shredded Pork with Mayonaise Sandwich".
PB101551

I didn't expect the bread to be so soft! The fillings were awesome too! Probably with all the good food I had for the past couple of days, I became very contented with simple plain bread.
PB101552

I am excited with the drafting of my next post. Why? Because it was the most memorable and exciting experience I ever had in my life. For this, I will definitely return again in near future. So, please drop by here again soon!

35 comments:

SimpleGirl said...

Thai food cannot goes without fish sauce huh....I think that's their main ingredient to make food tastier....BTW,the pork noodles really looks nice!!!

Tummythoz said...

Just this post makes me wanna go Krabi! But-hor, it's by the seaside right? Why all porky, no seafood?

CUMI & CIKI said...

i love coagulated blood and pork knuckle rice too! ... Oh, don't worry, i will be back to read your next post - excited about it too;)haha

Precious Pea said...

simplegirl: Fish sauce is important to the Thais, just like how soya and oyster sauce is important to us Chinese. I love fish sauce and I don't think i can cook without it now. I stocked up 2 big bottles, hope that would last till my next trip.

tummythoz: All these food were from Krabi town. Seafood will be featured in coming posts when we moved to Ao Nang, the seaside area for a night stay. Be patient...coming soon! Pork not good meh??

cumi & ciki: High 5! Hard to find people around me that enjoy coagulated blood. Tasty stuff isn't it? Ahh..never mind...more share for us then! Hahaha!

just apple said...

wow i'm so envy u can go so many places..i love traveling too..XD

PureGlutton said...

I'm so amused by your love of the pork knuckle rice - eating it everywhere in Thailand! But it's good hoh?! Ya the pork noodles near yr hotel certainly looks yummy! *earmark Krabi for next Thai destination!

J2Kfm said...

eh, you made Krabi sound so tempting lah!

pork knuckle rice is BEST! even Chinese pork knuckle dishes I also like.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

You're clearly the definitive food guide for all Air Asia destinations. :-) Oh, I lurrrve pork knuckles too. Yum yum!

Precious Pea said...

just apple: Harlow! Thanks for dropping by. Well, thanks to AirAsia for making traveling so much more affordable. :)

j2kfm: Hehe..well, I was surprised my trip turned out so good as I have heard a number of negative review of the place. I guess that also depends on who the travel companion is?

luscious sista: LOL! Who knows? Maybe there is a niche market for me in Melbourne?? Did you try the pork knuckle when you were in Bangkok?

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

krabi is da place! let me guess...u caught a lobster..waiting excitedly for next post!

Borneo Falcon said...

Most of the food looks quite familiar. Some similarity with Chinese food

vialentino said...

omg...krabi food pics...yummy ler!

jason said...

I'm so wanna go now! Ah... holiday ^^

*Anton* aka BCT said...

Oh dear, i better select an appropriate time to read your blog... or i'll end up eating 2 lunches, or 2 dinners! hahaha

Thai hotel breakfast are great too, lots of food and "crispy pork bacon". Eat-in 1st, then proceed outside for brunch Haha!

Excitedly anticipating ur next "killer" blog! :)

Precious Pea said...

terri: Hahaha..close! Very close! But not lobster ;)

vialentino: Yes, very yummy and cheap too!

jason: I think you will like Krabi too.

anton: Hahaha..yes yes yes, they usually serves very crispy pork bacon. So sinful isn't it especially when you can eat all you want.

Jun said...

i think i'd prefer these to ur creepy crawlies @_@ but i have to applaud u for having the courage to put them in ur mouth *cringe*

Linda said...

Hi PP,
I'm a long time reader, first time commenter. I loved your post on Krabi and Phi Phi island, reminds me of the fun I had there. The food looks awesome, unfortunately i didn't have the oportunity to visit the wet market. Next time I guess.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

dman adventerous..i suppose language was not a barrier eh?

Life for Beginners said...

I love how your excitement and bubbliness is apparent with every post --- you REALLY do love food & travel this much, don't you? :)

Cynthia said...

When it comes to breakfast, I am obviously living in the wrong part of the world!

Nic (KHKL) said...

you like the soft bread as well??? i love it!! :) i think i tau pau quite a number in bkk but finished it before reaching the airport! hahaha!

good stuff!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Yup I tried the pork knuckles in BKK. It ranks up there as one of my favourite foods (quite near foie gras). hehehe.

mimid3vils said...

The filling of the bread doesn't look like pork~~ ?

Precious Pea said...

Jun: Thank you thank you. One of my greatest achievement in 2008! But one time is enuff to satisfy my curiousity.

Linda: Harlow!! Thank you for your support and for your first comment too! Yes, I enjoyed Krabi and Phuket very much. Missed the market...i guess good excuse to go again soon?

NJoe: Ermm...when language fails...can always point at the food you want with a nod and food you don't want with a big 'no-no' hand shake.

kenny mah: Hehe. I guess am very lucky to have a very compatible travel companion who enjoys the same food and activities as I do. Hubby that is! The only trip I didn't quite enjoy was Siem Reap, that is why till now I have not blogged about it, and probably would not.

Cynthia: Hahaha...you are so so funny. I told my Hubby what you wrote and he too couldn't stop laughing. Well, I do agree Asian breakfast is pretty much more interesting in terms of variety. Do hope you will come over to this part of the world one day to give it a try.

Nic: I LOVE SOFTBREAD! Especially those pillowy soft type. High 5!!!

luscious sista: Wow! I didn't know you love the trotter that much. I must google for the recipe and try doing it at home one day.

mimid3vils: It's shredded pork or what we call here, pork floss. Nice!

christine said...

oh pork knuckle..one of my facorites..so porky blog..haha..totally non halal

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I like your blog very much. Nice food pictures and of course cute picture of Snow Pea and Pumpkin. Keep on the good job.

Feel free to visit my blog:
http://tomato-celery.blogspot.com

daphne said...

What really got my attention was the bread! Woah.. it looked cottoney!!!

ling239 said...

the pork knuckle rice looks delicious!! but really really far *sigh

Precious Pea said...

christine: I should rename "Piggin myself in Krabi" hor? Hehe.

Anonymous: Harlow! Thanks for dropping by my blog. Will hop over to yours to check it out after this :)

daphne: I didn't expect it to be so soft. Why oh why we can't have cheap and nice stuff like this in KL.

ling239: Sigh..if only they have it here...sigh.

550ml jar of faith said...

I am delighted to have stumbled here! Planning a trip to Krabi soon and this is probably the best guide ever! That Pork knuckle rice looks fantastic!

backstreetgluttons said...

U R definitely blessed with a voracious appetite ( We mean cheerful guzzling appetite )and together with ugwuw are 2 of blogoshere's anything oso can !

travelling & eating pillars of blissful happiness

congratulations !

hongyi said...

where r u planning to go to next? :)

Shirley Khor said...

Mm~ Definitely good food. Ivy, will u do the meme for me? Yes! Because you've been tagged by me. Here's the link: http://sweetnov86.blogspot.com/2008/11/tag-youre-it.html

Precious Pea said...

550ml jar of faith: Cool! I hope you will like Krabi too.

bsg: Hahaha...you got to compliment my Hub's appetite too. Without him, I would not be able to sample that much food when i travel. As for UGWUG, i really would like to see how much we can eat when we do have a chance to travel together.

hongyi: Confirmed trip is Macau/HK in Feb 09, not confirmed is Taiwan in April. Also confirmed, one way trip to Melbourne in July 09. Yes, am settling down in Melbourne for good, I hope.

Shirley: Thanks for tagging. Time to switch on my brain and will try to do it after my Krabi posts.

ai wei said...

u can really be a great tourist guide for us! thumbs up for all ur write-up

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online