Tuesday, December 30, 2008

ASSAM SAUCE ....for BBQ

I love the month of December. Not just because I was born in this month but it's full of festive mood and not forgetting the lazy bug too. This would probably be my last post for year 2008 as I don't intend to do any New Year resolutions, cos I know I would NEVER keep to it. So why bother, right?

Few months ago, I threw a BBQ party for my colleagues and my relatives (separate occasions) and all of them were really impressed with the assam sauce that I made specially to grill seafood. They ended up asking for white rice to go with it. Since my colleague, Kavi is planning to throw a BBQ party on New Year Eve, I am putting this up so that she could make some to impress her family as well.

Ingredients to blend:
10 pcs Shallots (or 2 big onions)
1 whole Garlic
2 stalks Lemongrass
1 whole Bunga Kantan (Torch Ginger Flower) - remove the stem and use the flower part only
1

Heat up your saucepan with about 3 tablespoon of oil. Lower the fire and pour the paste into the saucepan. Simmer under low heat until aromatic.
2

Next, put in the blended chili paste. Usually I blend my own chili paste by using soaked dried chilies but when I am feeling lazy, I will grab a packet of chili boh from the supermarket. Taste just as good, only that homemade is cleaner and more hygenic. I used about 150 gram of the chili paste and the end result was HOT AND SPICY!! Remember to adjust according to your taste. Add in half cup of water.
3

Put in 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste. Let it dissolve before seasoning the sauce with sugar and salt. Some people like it sour while some like it sweet. So I won't stipulate the amount of sugar here, simply adjust according to your tastebud. The assam sauce can be stored in the fridge using airtight container for weeks. Apart from using it to grill seafood, it can also be used to steam fish and fry meehoon.
4

The Assam Sauce goes really well with seafood especially fish, stingray, prawns and squid! Have not tried it with crab though, maybe I should next time.
5

Using a big piece of aluminium foil, assemble your seafood in the middle, pour a few tablespoon of the paste over and if you like, dump in some veggies such as ladies finger, brinjal, onions, long beans or tomatoes.
6

Wrap it up tight and put it over the hot burning charcoal to cook for about 10 - 15 minutes, depending on the size of your seafood. Err...silly me forgot to take a picture of the end result cos I was too busy tending to other food. Learning from experience, I suggest you cook a bit of rice just in case your guests request for it.
7

I also took some pictures of other stuff that I prepared so I might as well post it up. Marinated chicken wings with Pea's special sauce.
8

Skewers of Pork Cocktail Sausages, Taiwan Sausages and Pineapple Cubes!
9

Spare Ribs marinated with Fermented Beancurd paste.
10

Beef marinated with Pea's special mixed herb sauce.
12

Corn and cucumber.....we need fiber!!!
13

Lastly, Chicken Satay! For recipe, click HERE.

11

Lastly, I would like take the opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy New Year 2009!!!

24 comments:

Kavi said...

Thank alot fren for the recipe. looks so yummy!!! I will give it a try. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you and your family.

terri@adailyobsession said...

"pea's special sauce" -- dare i imagine the secret ingredient??

hey, happy new year to u & hub. may the coming year be even better n may u achieve all u aspire for :))

thebigsoalan said...

Even Anthony Bourdain might be licking his fingers if he got the opportunity to taste your recipe!!!!

Happy New Year!

SimpleGirl said...

Happy New Year Pea! Nice recipe, I should try it next time for BBQ as well! Nice sharing!

noobcook said...

your asam sauce really looks fantastic. I will try it one day when I can find all the ingredients ^^

Precious Pea said...

Kavi: Sorry for posting this up so late. Do enjoy your new year eve bbq. Happy New Year to you and your family too!

terri: Thank you terri for the wonderful wishes. May your new year fill with lots of joy and happiness!

thebigsoalan: Hahaha...I bet he would! Happy New Year to you too!

simplegirl: Do try, it's yummy! Happy New Year to you too!

noobcook: Cool and hope you will like it too.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

looks like my housewarming should do bbq also hor..but i would need all those secret recipes!

mimid3vils said...

Happy New Year!!!!

Tummythoz said...

Drooling at all Precious Pea's special sauce everything!

babe_kl said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND PAUL!

*Anton* said...

Reading your blogs alwiz makes me salivate! ^^

Blessed New Year to hubby and you. Please do take care.

+Ant+

Live2Talk said...

thanks for taking time to marinate and prepare the bbq stuff for a bunch of hungry 'wolves'! never fail to disappoint our tummy ;P

happy new year and may 2009 brings you lots of happiness and travel plans! cheers babe! yay!

Life for Beginners said...

Ooh, Precious Pea's Special Sauce! PPSS (for short). Sounds like something we can try for a different twist this CNY... ;)

Happy '09, dear!

sc said...

happy happy new year! may next year be better than this year!

backStreetGluttons said...

we love royal tasters, recipe princesses and

the Food Queen

Happy New Year !

Nic (KHKL) said...

ohhhhhhhh, lurve that sauce. with a drizzle of lime juice, woah, shiok!

happy 2009, precious pea! ;)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

If I were one of your guests, I'd ask for some rice to go with this too. Mmm. What does torch ginger taste like? Can I substitute with a small amount of ginger? Or not the same at all? Is this the same sauce for assam laksa?

tigerfish said...

Happy 2009!
Love the BBQ paste you have but down with sore throat now that I have to say "no" to BBQ food :(

foodaddict said...

hi, i would like to know, once the sambal paste is ready to spread on the seafood, how long can i keep it in the fridge?? thanks..

Paprika said...

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! May 2009 bring you and hubby love, happiness, great food and exciting holidays!

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: OOo..so when are you planning to invite me to your housewarming. Err..you going to invite me right?? If you invite me, i share with you the secret recipe. ;)

mimid3vils: Happy New Year to you too!

tummythoz: Hahaha...tissue?

babekl: Thanks Babe. Have a wonderful new year to you, your hubby and boiboi!

anton: Thank you and I wish the same to you too!

live2talk: No problem at all. It's my pleasure and glad that you liked it.

kenny mah: PPSS..ahh..i like the abbreviation! Hahaha. Yes, CNY bbq....negotiating with Hubby for organising one ;)

sc: Keeping my fingers crossed too. Happy New Year to you too!

TeamBSG: Wahh..so many royal title? My head getting bigger oledi, can't fit my tiara. Hahaha. Anyway, Happy New Year to you guys. More backstreet discovery yah!

nic: You know your food man!! Happy New Year!

wandering chopsticks: Torch ginger has got a very distinct taste, nothing compared to ginger. It is one of the main ingredient in assam laksa, almost like kaffir lime leave but milder.

tigerfish: OH dear..take care and may your 2009 be sick-free!

foodaddict: I suggest you put in the freezer, should be ok for a month provided you use clean and dry spoon to scoop each time. Usually I cook enuff just for one meal, or most, i keep for one week cos i got sensitive stomach.

paprika: Thank you pap. I wish you lots of joy, luck and happiness in 2009 too!

Selba said...

Happy New Year!

Great recipe, I'll give a try someday :D

Cokeworld Citizen said...

Fuiyoh...so much food!!! Aiyer i want to go eat bbq at ur place also lah macam tu...First time i hear Assam BBq sauce O.o but so much work...haha i still prefer my dad teach me punya recipe. Soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Oyster sauce, 1 egg and a fair amount of sugar/honey. The best part is all agak agak amounts haha and they are all ready in your kitchen.

Happy new year!

ling239 said...

and i was hoping to see the grilled fish...>.<'

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online