Thursday, January 08, 2009

SOO KEE @ JALAN AMPANG, KL

Several months ago, Wong (my Makan Gang member) took Hubby and I for a scrumptious lunch at a two-decade old restaurant. Soo Kee is located along Jalan Ampang but for those who are not familiar with that area might find it difficult to locate the shop especially if you are coming from the opposite direction as it is blocked by a flyover right in front of the shop. For landmark, look out for Flemingo hotel at the opposite side of the road.

It was a hot day and I was expecting the place to be stuffy hot. Surprise surprise, it is air-conditioned and its quite neat despite being around for such a long time. The display of mouthwatering BBQ pork, steamed village chicken, roast chicken and roast duck immediately put a grin on my face.
a

Wong ordered a few dishes for us to try, and with Wong around, Hubby and I always certain that nothing could go wrong. I sat back and observed the rest of the diners, ahem as well as the dishes they ordered. Some looks pretty good, in particular the braised bitter gourd spareribs which I could smell from my table.

First to arrive was a half portion of steamed village chicken. I am a big fan of village chicken for obvious reason; the texture of the meat is firmer than free-range chicken and most importantly, it has stronger chicken taste. Another reason would be the chicken skin. I know it's bad for health but I could never resist village chicken skin as it's slightly 'crunchier' and 'chewier' if compared to the 'soft and slimy' skin of free-range chicken. The steamed village chicken served here is nothing extraordinary that you couldn't find elsewhere but it was good enough to start off with our meal.
1

We were given crushed ginger sauce and grounded vinegared chili sauce to go with the steamed chicken. I love the crushed ginger sauce as it reminded me of my late mum. She used to make this to serve together with steamed chicken. My mum's version is pretty easy to make. Just pound some ginger using mortar and pestle, drizzled some hot oil over, put in some salt and give it a good stir.
2

The main purpose of visiting Soo Kee was for their famous Char Siu aka BBQ pork that many food bloggers raved about. We were served with a plate of half lean half fat cut of meat, just as requested. If look could kill, I am dead. It was glistening and perfectly charred. I am going to sneak into their kitchen on my next visit!!!
3

True enough, it was tasty. The caramelized outer layer was aromatic with the level of sweetness just nice for me. Meat was tender and juicy. And as for the fatty parts...yumz..it melted in my mouth!! This is what I wish to achieve at home. I wonder if they accept any disciple...hmm....
4

Lastly, a green dish to balance our meaty meal. Well, it wasn't at all that healthy choice either. We ordered Stir-fry Garlic Chives Buds (Gow Choy Fah) with Pig's Kidney and Intestine that came full of wok-hei (essence imparted from a hot wok). In fact, I could smell it all the way from the kitchen located at the back of the restaurant. Lip smacking good needless to say. Am not a kidney and intestine fan, but I enjoyed the aromatic chives buds.
5

I couldn't remember the exact amount of the total bill but it should be pretty reasonable since no complain on the price from my financier. This is a place I don't mind coming back too, so Wong, when free???

Soo Kee Restaurant is located at:
No. 373-1, 4th Mile,
Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
Closed on Monday

Operating Hours: 12 noon - 9 p.m.

For other reviews on Soo Kee, do click here:
Masak-Masak, A Whiff of Lemongrass, Ravenous Rabbit

27 comments:

Tummythoz said...

I've never ate in but phitoy 'tapau-ed' the char-siu for me once. It was good but phitoy says the price is very bad aka pricey. =,(

Evelyn Lam said...

Hmm, Soo Kee sounds so familiar geh...

SimpleGirl said...

Seeing the char siew I am sure the taste is like you described...heavenly....

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: I guess the char siu is priced almost the same as some of the famous char siu place in town. Actually i can understand that. One strip of char siu you buy from butcher easily RM10 and that haven't includes the ingredient and labour.

evelyn: Maybe you tried before?

Simplegirl: Hahaha....heavenly sinful!

Live2Talk said...

Sometimes a simple meal is delicious enough with enjoyable company. So, Ms Wong, we when?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

more like..when r you free also? hahaha i want to join..

Borneo Falcon said...

Wow! Nice one. Always a fan of chicken rice

worldwindows said...

A good place for a hot afternoon Chinese family meal. the village chicken looks so appetizing!

ekeng said...

Char Siew again...I wanna award you as "Char Siew Queen" of 2009.

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: True, if the company is right, hawker stall also good enuff. When ar? Anytime..after work?

NJoe: Haha...actually your Sek Yuen post reminded me of this place.

borneo falcon: Haha..same as my Hubby..he won't go sick of chicken rice.

worldwindows: So you are a regular to this shop? Any dishes that you would like to recommend?

ekeng: Hahaha...no la..am very very loyal to crabs!

teckiee said...

Not many shops serve garlic ginger sauce....looks tempting.

Shelyn said...

Blog hopping and dropped by your blog.

I'm not a fan of Char Siew, but nice food review.

Happy New Year!

Selba said...

I'm water-mouthing right now, hehehe...

Crush ginger sauce? How does it tasted? Does it have sour sweet?

J2Kfm said...

i might have been here before, when i was small.

hmm .. but completely no idea where.

char siew really THAT delicious? slurp! i'll be on my way!

Precious Pea said...

teckiee: Yes, and not all nice too.

shelyn: Thanks for visiting and do hop by again.

selba: Erm...it's gingerly spicy and salty. Very easy to make, do try making it at home to serve with steamed chicken.

j2kfm: Well, everyone have their own favourite char siu place. Honestly, we went to SunwayMas Seremban char siu that morning, disappointed cos our teeth all stucked with the crystalised sugar...so that is why Wong brought us here for second round. I like it but Hubby prefers Meng Kee. So do try and let me know your view.

mimid3vils said...

I only know Flamingo Hotel :P I think hubby's GPS can help :)

Ah King said...

Have you tried the one at Kedai Kopi & Makanan Mooi Mooi (美美海鲜饭店),Happy Garden Jln Klang Lama? It was my favorite. ;-)

Cheryl Wee said...

wah lao!! Mouth-watering cha siu!! My favouritttteeeeee... gotta get my a** down to KL soon

tigerfish said...

Looks really delish!

~Christine~Leng said...

ooo... I'm salivating! those luring char siew!

jason said...

Soo Kee is the one famous with sang har meen right? But I'm sure this one is another different restaurant :)

BaBy OcTopUs said...

For me Tian Hong @ Salak South is the best Char Siew in KL. But I am always up for suggestion.

Where there is Char Siew, there will be me. haha~!

fatboybakes said...

like jason, i thought soo kee is the famous sang har meen place. no meh? yummmy, the food looks GOOD.

Precious Pea said...

mimid3vils: Happy searching!!! Hope you and your hubby enjoy this place too.

Ah King: This place serves Char Siu too??

Cheryl Wee: Hahaha...yes, KL is a food heaven to piggin it out!!

tigerfish: This is a very nice place to dine.

christine: Miss leh?? When coming back?

jason and fbb: That is another Soo Kee in Imbi famous for its noodle. This one has got no connection with them, this one more to bbq meat and dishes.

baby octopus: I agree. Everyone have got their own favourite char siu place. Do try and see if this is at par with Tian Hong.

CUMI & CIKI said...

pig kidney vege! healthy yet not! but damn tasty .. hahaha.. love! ;D

ling239 said...

my dad loves the steamed chicken and char siew too...^_^
but it had been a very long time since we last visit this place, glad to here that they are still in business ~

Jessica said...

must go & try....hubby & i are always in search of good char siew!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online