Thursday, February 26, 2009

WAI KEE RESTAURANT @ TEMPLE STREET, YAU MA TEI

After having my tummy filled with the Claypot Beef Rice for lunch and yummy Beef Brisket at teatime, my overstuffed tummy protested and decided to shut down for the day. I was bloated and didn't feel hungry at all despite strolling along Temple Street for an hour. Temple Street is located in Yau Ma Tei and is well known for its night market. Am not going to talk much about Temple Street, so if you are interested to know more, do check out HERE.

There are lots of restaurants (Dai Pai Dong style) along Temple Street and most fully packed with diners. Some impressive, some not. I always aim for those patronized by locals and we finally came across two promising restaurants located almost at the end of Temple Street. One is Hing Kee Restaurant which is recommended in my booklet. Hubby wasn't impressed with Hing Kee shopfront and so we decided to try Wai Kee Restaurant which is just few shops away.
Wai Kee Restaurant @ Temple St

It was fully packed outside, not even a table to share with other diners. So we proceeded into the shop and shared a table with two local girls. With the cool weather, claypot rice seems to be a big hit. I see most diners have own pot each. Since we already had it for lunch and I was not hungry at all, I told Hubby not to order any. If you ask me again at this very moment, I wish I could have one pot of each in their menu now!

Menu

The claypot rice must be really good here. As we were seated near to the kitchen, I saw pots after pots of rice being whisked out. Definitely must be good since the couple at the next table ordered 3 pots to share. Personally I couldn't even finish one pot myself as it's quite a big portion.
Stacks of Claypots

We agreed to have just few dishes to try. Apart from the claypot rice, their Deep Fried Mantis Prawn with Salt Pepper Style seems to be quite popular. Our serving came with generous portion of at least 10 pieces of huge mantis prawns. Price? Only HKD40! Average about less than RM2 per piece. I once paid RM5 per piece at a seafood restaurant in K.L. Now, who said dining in Hong Kong is expensive???
Mantis Prawns

I saw Claypot Eel Rice in the menu but I only wanted the eel and not the rice. The friendly waiter told us this could be done. Steamed with black bean sauce, this dish was delicious! The pieces of eel was steamed to perfection. I enjoy the chewy gelatinous skin followed by soft and smooth texture of the flesh. Good but however, it still could not beat the best steamed eel I had in Macau. Priced at HKD45 (about RM20).
Steamed Eel

Fiber! Definitely in need for some greens! Hong Kong Kai Lan is always my favourite, followed by Hong Kong choy sum and snowpea sprout. Crunchy and sweet when cooked just right, minus the green bitter after taste.
Hong Kong Kai Lan

Overall, it was a good meal without any complain. Service was friendly and fast. Am glad we gave this place a try.

Wai Kee Restaurant is located at:
"Twenty-something" Temple Street, Yau Ma Tei (few shops away from Hing Kee at No.19)
Direction: From Yau Ma Tei MTR Station Exit C, walk along Man Ming Lane until Temple Street

What's up at next post? Have not decided yet....come back later to find out yah!

23 comments:

Selba said...

Wow.. claypot rice!!! I love it!!!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

need more hk reviews!! my trip is in May!

SimpleGirl said...

Totally agreed! Some food in HK cheaper huh....this huge Mantis Prawns is only RM2....my God!! I don't think we can get in Msia.

Precious Pea said...

selba: Comfort food!

NJoe: Hahaha..ok ok..more on the way!! Should be able to complete everything in March to make way for post on my coming eating trip to Humen. Don't ask me where it is, cos I am clueless. As you can see..am very very slow nowadays.

SimpleGirl: As long as don't dine in those big famous restaurant, price is pretty reasonable.

Jackson said...

wow.... steam eel!!! i'm sure i will love that

sc said...

food looks good, especially the mantis prawns.. and yes, cheap too!

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Mantis prawn looks good....and CHEAP!! Always thought HK food was expensive...

daphne said...

what a review! Those mantis prawns are huge! And such a bargain as well!

Looks like u had a great time!!!

foodbin said...

i see that they don't fillet the eel

Precious Pea said...

jackson: I am sure you will love it too.

sc: I saw people ordering oyster omelet too. Too bad I didn't have any tummy space left to try.

bangsar babe: Everyone thought so too but actually if you dine in restaurant like this, quite reasonable.

daphne: Ooo yes. I had a great time there but wait till you read what happened to me on 2nd day.

foodbin: You mean, deboned like unagi? So far, the chinese-style eel i had were with bones.

Anonymous said...

oh lovely,

it's really a value for money meal.
and it's cheap for HK's standard by far.

there are chillies/tomatoes on the mantis prawns right? or roe ?

http://chaokar.blogspot.com

Live2Talk said...

unbeatable price and delicious too ... i just wish that KL can have more choices than the normal claypot chick rice :(

550ml jar of faith said...

Those deep fried mantis prawns are a right steal! I think I can have a serving of this for lunch everyday! More HK gems please!!

thule a.k.a leo said...

now that's something apart from beef... lol!!! I wonder if I have the time to walk around like this, since my daughter is arriving in another 2 weeks??? *deep thought while scratching head*

Life for Beginners said...

Love the 3rd pic of all them claypots, just stacked up in a most scattered manner... Good food, good times! :D

worldwindows said...

The steamed eel looks so fresh!

mimid3vils said...

They have more choices of claypot rice than us hor...

Precious Pea said...

Anonymous: Those tiny bits are garlic and chillies. Very fragrant stuff!

life2talk: Very true...chicken with salted fish is just too normal.

550ml: More to come I guarantee!!!

Thule: Ooo..congrats. I bet you and your wife are so excited now. I promise next post will not be on beef too.

life for beginners: They have more pots and stove behind. Amazing they way they work non-stop.

worldwindows: Very delicious stuff.

Nic (KHKL) said...

good find, precious pea! it's nice to eat eel steamed as we are always lack of options here. always with teriyaki sauce only...ohh!!! i see frog (menu says toad) as well! slurp!

mysimplefood said...

Helloooo....I went to HK with my hubby too to celebrate new year, just writing the postings....been lazy to blog, starting again!!

Calvin Kong - Worldclass Cooking Wannabe said...

i stayed at the hotel just few steps away from this claypot rice... i tried the more popular one in the book.. they have like 3-4 branches there at the same row flanking all the other competitors...

kampungboycitygal said...

thx precious pea! kau kee and hing kee is in our to eat list around hk, n australian dairy company too..we got the list from openrice.com, a hk food forum

ling239 said...

the Mantis Prawn is very tai !! ^_^

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online