Monday, March 23, 2009

LOK YUEN, THE KING OF BEEF BALL CHIU CHAU NOODLE ( 樂園牛丸大王)

Before I start, yes, this is a beefy post again. As you should know by now, my Hubby is a big fan of beef. He went through the Food Guide and only identified two (2) must-try places. Mind you, the two is out of 50 good places to eat. I don't mind though, cos this means I get to decide the rest.

His first choice, which is Kau Kee Beef Brisket located in Sheung Wan, was very very good. He claimed to be the best he ever had in Hong Kong (after his 6th trip). When the second choice named themself as King of Beef Ball, how could we give this a miss?
1

For those who have watched Stephen Chow comedy called The God Of Cookery, do you remember a dish called "Exploding Beef Balls"? According to the Food Guide, the scriptwriter was inspired after tasting the Beef and Fish Maw Ball (HKD33) here, and that was the dish Hubby ordered served with noodle of his choice. He chose Hor Fun (flat rice noodle) that day.
4

When served, the waiter warned Hubby to be cautious when biting into the balls cos it will explode and the steamy broth inside the beef balls may scald your tongue or lips. Right in the middle, there is a very tiny piece of fish maw. So tiny, I could barely taste it. The beef ball itself was quite ok, nothing to shout about but nothing to complain about either.
5

I was feverish that night, hence nothing in the menu seemed to interest me. Hubby suggested the Four Treasure Noodles (HKD29) for me, a noodle dish with six types of meat/fish balls. I had egg noodles and trust me, you just can't go wrong with their egg noodles. Fine and crunchy! I guess it's not fair for me to comment on the fish balls since I was not feeling well that night. The only ball I liked was the Squid Ball. Very sweet and bouncy with tiny bits of chewy squid. If I ever dine here again, I shall have only the squid balls.6

Being greedy, Hubby ordered a bowl of beef brisket (HKD45). You can also opt to have it served with noodles at cheaper price. We didn't like it cos it was too salty to our likings. We finished off the tripe without touching the soup.
7

Lastly, a green dish to complete the meal. A good plate of crunchy sweet Hong Kong Choy Sum (HKD7).
8

Lok Yuen The King of Beef Ball Chiu Chau Noodle is located at:
11 Fa Yuen Street, Mongkok
Opening Hours: 9.00 a.m. - 3.00 a.m.

This is the last post on my Hong Kong trip. For those foodies who are travelling to Macau soon, please come back to my blog as my next post I will share with you 3 great and cheap places to eat...all located at the same area!!

25 comments:

UnkaLeong said...

Maybe salty cause no noodles to soak up the sauce? But the tripe looks mouth wateringly good leh.

Ah King and Moon said...

We love beef product too, it seems we have missed the best beef noodle in HK *sigh*, with your positive comment, I'm pretty sure we shall pay Kau Kee Beef Brisket avisit if given chance to revisit Hong Kong again. ;-)

Penang Tua Pui said...

aiyo... u shud use the ball to play ping pong like Steven Chow ma.... aiks.... else how u know how keng chow the ball is ? :P

Hazza said...

Coincidentally, I was watching a cookery program on TV showing how they make beef balls in Guangdong, as I was reading this. I miss beef balls ... good ones not easy to get in UK.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ohhh looks better than it tastes ar? what a pity..goin to copy all this down for my May trip!

Precious Pea said...

unkaleong: You could be right. I can imagine having kon lou egg noodle with the beef brisket sauce. Slurps!

Ah King & Moon: Do try Kau Kee...the soup was fantastic!

Penang Tua Pui: Hahaha. Should throw it against the wall and see how it bounce hor?

Hazza: Since you now know how they do it in Guangdong...you should try making it at home. Require lots of beating rite? You and Hazza Jr can take turns too..hehe.

NJoe: Errmm..personally I find it no big deal but then again, it's so highly rated. If your list is already very very long, this one you try if you have extra stomach space. Do away with the noodle lah...take just the beef balls. And squid balls too!

KY said...

wooo, fish maw in the middle *slurps*

myCoffee said...

I love their black pepper pork balls...! *droolz*

Selba said...

I prefer beef ball to fish ball.... :)

foodbin said...

mee noodle looks springy.

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Were the beef balls bouncy? The beef brisket soup looks really concentrated. =P

mimid3vils said...

Fancy food in movie appeared in reality, interesting!!!

Precious Pea said...

KY: Fish maw so tiny, could barely taste it.

mycoffee: Ooo..ok...noted!!!

selba: Me too!! Most fish balls quite fake. I only like homemade fish paste.

foodbin: Just can't go wrong with egg noodles in HK.

bangsar babe: It was quite bouncy and meat solid. But to me, i prefer pork ball with cuttlefish bits anytime. Hehehe...am i out of topic oledi?

mimid3vils: :) Yes!

kim said...

awww. keep 'em coming.
your post are great! =)

GFAD said...

You know how ppl say after you make your own fish/porkball, you will never eat outside ones again? I made my own, and I still want to eat outside! Not because it's not nice (homemade ones are really superior) but so much work and washing up after that!! :D

I made porkballs using fresh mince pork and dried squid, and I tell you, it is such a joy to have as many as you want, and not be limited by the miserable pieces the stall gives you!! So yummilicious!! Make sure you make a lot to freeze, just so that it's worth all that work!! :D

Jun said...

i like beef too, and i think the hongkies cook it reli well :)

wmw said...

Beef noodles! Me likey!

J2Kfm said...

and i was wondering why my beef balls at Lok Yuen dun have cavity inside one ... hmm.. i ordered the NORMAL version, sans the fish maws.

hehe, missed opportunity. 3 places in Macau? cant wait to see which ones. :)

chuafc2006 said...

Hi Precious Pea blog owner :D
I like your blog, can I have the permission to link your blog to my blog?

I don't require exchanging link.

Thanks :D

Nic (KHKL) said...

omg, now stephen chow's god of cookery's playing in my mind! so interesting la, beef balls with fish maw. i guess the contrast in texture must be really good. oh, remember the char siew fan in the movie? *slurp* ;D

Precious Pea said...

kim: Thanks! Definitely more to come!

gfad: I know what you mean. I started doing own fish paste from scratch and no way those outside could match. More work but i guess as long as one enjoy the process, it's worth it.

Jun: I so agree with you!

wmw: Am sure you would.

j2kfm: I had the normal one in my noodle too. Nothing special right?

chuafc2006: Thanks for dropping by and yes, please feel free to link. I will pop by your blog in a short while.

Nic: Oooo..yes yes yes...I am more interested in the char siu fan than the beef balls.

CUMI & CIKI said...

"Exploding Beef Balls" ..! so cute.. but too bad the maw was so small..

erm the tripe soup really looks concentrated la.. can imagine how salty

Simon Seow said...

Wow, they renovated the shop. I went there at 2006, it's still very old school one the interior.

Precious Pea said...

cumi & ciki: The soup more like for kon lou noodle. I prefer the clear version with lots of radish!

simon: Now very spacious and clean and modern too.

Furkids in Hong Kong said...

I haven't had 'ngau laam' in months - even though I live here!

Aiya, mouth drooling. Take cab now for 'siu yeh'. :D

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online