Friday, March 13, 2009

SNACKING MY WAY IN HONG KONG

One could never go hungry in Hong Kong. There are simply too many irresistible food calling out for me no matter which corner of the street I turn into. For this trip, I will just summed up all the street snacks I tried in one post.

As we were walking towards the exit of the Jordan MTR station, we were greeted with a very nice aroma. I could tell instantly that it must be something cooked with charcoal. True enough, we spotted a stall selling Charcoal Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Again, I didn't have any stomach space left for such tummy-filler carbo-laden food, but how I could I walk away without grabbing at least one????
1

Sold by weight, I asked for a small piece of yellow flesh sweet potato priced at HKD10. Definitely not cheap!! Stupid me, I should have chosen the purple variant as I was told much nicer. It was piping hot and sweet but sadly, the flesh was all soft and mushy. Almost like eating mashed potato!
2

There are many shops selling snacks like this below and all I came across were crowded all the time. This shop is located somewhere between Jordan and Yau Ma Tei area. I spotted a small queue and we joined in as well.
5

I saw many people ordered their steamed Siu Mai or Pork Dumpling. It was drizzled with soya sauce and chili oil (optional) before served. One bite and GOODNESS.....I was eating dough!!! It tasted exactly like vegetarian mock meat. Horrible!! Needless to say, we each had a piece and the rest?? We fed it to the nearest garbage bin lor!
7

We moved on to try their fried stuffs which looked more promising. Lots of variety like sausages, bacon, fish ball, pig's intestine and stuffed vegetable (yong tau foo) to choose from. Just pick and they will heat it up in the fryer immediately.
6

I chose the rolled pig's intestine while Hubby picked fried beancurd. Mine was a bad choice. Very strong odour but Hubby said it was tasty! The fried beancurd stuffed with fish paste (not the stinky type) was good. The outer layer was crispy while the inside was smoooooooth. I am not a beancurd person but I find it very yummy!
8

Cocktail sausages wrapped with bacon. How wrong could it get? Fantastic stuff!
9

Ever seen Salt-Baked Eggs??? For me, this is the first time I came across such delicacy. This stall is located at Temple Street. Quail egg is priced at HKD2 for 3 piece while chicken egg is priced at HKD2.5 for one. The lady will peel the shell for you too.
3

Almost like eating boiled egg with slightly savourish taste to it. Nothing to shout about but it was nevertheless, a good experience.
4

I love eating chicken in Hong Kong. It's so much firmer in texture and it has more chicken flavour to it. My favourite has got to be soy sauce chicken. There is this particular roast meat shop (for takeaway only) along Fa Yuen St, Mongkok that I like. Very friendly people and they were so happy when he got to know that we are from Malaysia. I had one whole chicken leg cooked with soy sauce for supper. And whenever I am in Hong Kong, I indulged with my all-time favourite Vita brand beverages.
11

There is an Aji Ichiban outlet near our hotel and we walked passed it several times a day when I finally stepped in to check things out. Aji Ichiban is a very popular snack shops selling candies, chocolates, egg rolls and even savoury snack such as duck tongue, duck kidney, chicken wings and chicken feet!!! Interesting eh? I was curious of the taste but skeptical to such big packet. The sales lady told me I could mix and match which is priced according to weigh. Hence I took a few to try; Isoyaki Chicken Wing, Isoyaki Chicken Feet and Isoyaki Duck Kidney. Personally I find "It's-So-Yucky"!!

12

I only tried the Isoyaki Chicken Wing. Shiny and smooth on the outer layer but one bite onto the wings, my mouth was filled with a layer of cold gelatinous fats. It's So Yucky!!!! Taste wise not too bad but it was the texture and coldness of the wing that turned me off. I didn't have the courage to try the other two pack.
13

Lastly, a sweet ending to this post. My all-time favourite Mango with Pomelo & Sago dessert (楊枝甘露) from Honeymoon Dessert. Generous serving of chunky sweet mangoes with citrusy pomelo and chewy sago floating in a bowl of cold mango puree. Ahhh...refreshing!!
10

Next post....I will introduce to you my four new found friends in Hong Kong!

28 comments:

thenomadGourmand said...

ehh..honeymoon dessert.. Saw an outlet w that name in 1U.. i wonder?

CRIZ LAI said...

Hmmm... the mango dessert looked great! I thought there's one somewhere in KL serving mango chee cheong fun. that would be fun too if only I can remember where it's located. :P

http://crizfood.com/

Penang Tua Pui said...

u shud definitely need to try the purple type of "wui fan sue"... taste much more better....

teckiee said...

Really "dai fan shu" man hahahah ..and the egg, if the lady peel for you.. her hands clean one or not? quite weird when salt baked egg taste sourish..

J2Kfm said...

Criz Lai : the mango CCF was blogged by wmw, if I'm not mistaken.

anyway, Pea, that's some snacking you got there! the only ones i tried were the stinky tofu (no stink = not nice), and the fried octo tentacles (oily, but satisfying). i cant stomach the beef offals/innards smell wafting thru the air ...

Linda said...

I was just telling my friend that I had the biggest craving for soy chicken. It's definitely my favourite item at the roast meat shops, better than roast pork. I love roast meats in Hong Kong as well, it's just a notch above anywhere else I've been. Ahh you're soo brave to buy those packaged chicken wings, feet etc.. I think if it were me, I'd buy it and then make my BF eat it hahaha.. I absolutely love Honeymoon Desserts franchise as well. I love it so much that when I had 3 hrs in transit in HK, I caught the Taxi to Mong Kok for the mango and pomelo dessert. Once again, a great read.

Precious Pea said...

nomadgourmand: Yes, I saw the outlet in One Utama too and some of the items very similar to those i had in HK. Maybe it's their branch.

Criz: The Mango ccf...you can refer to WMW or Citygal blog. Not sure if Simon Seow or Jason blogged about it. If not mistaken, that place is in Kepong.

Penang Tua Pui: I so so so stupid lor....i tot yellow sweeter. Next visit, i will try the purple version.

teckiee: Err err...i didn't check her hand wor but should be clean lah...since so much salt, all germs would be killed! Hahaha! You read wrongly la...not sourish...it's savourish.

J2kfm: I got no courage to try stinky tofu leh. I had once in beijing and almost vomited. But then i was told Beijing version is different from HK and Taiwan. I can't stomach innards with strong smell too. Ya ya...their fried octo tentacles soo sooo soooooo yummy!!!

Precious Pea said...

Linda: Haha..i was being curious of the "It's So Yucky - Isoyaki" stuffs. I saw people buying it, so that has to be good. Just turn out not my type of food. For that kind of price, I would rather buy one whole soy chicken to indulge. Yummzzzz!! Yes yes..i agree..they have some of the best roast meat! I love their roasted duck and goose too. But believe it or not..i have not tried their famous roasted pigeon yet.

Anonymous said...

hi, i stumbled into yr blog and enjoy reading yr travel experiences....i tried the roasted pork and soy chicken stall at Fa Yuen St,really delicious,whenever i am in HK i will definitely tarbao their roasted pork n char siu rice....the mango dessert fr Hui Lau Shan is good too :)

Selba said...

Snacksssss.... so interesting to learn about these new kind of snacks for me except for the sweet potato ones :)

Live2Talk said...

usually the purple sweet potato taste nicer ... eh you didn't try the stinky tofu ah? the aji ichiban savoury snacks really not my kind of food ler *gulp*

Calvin Kong - Worldclass Cooking Wannabe said...

wow.. hkd2.5 for 1 egg and i thought our locally upperclass kopitiam omega 3 half boiled egg is overpriced...

CUMI & CIKI said...

i love Charcoal Roasted Sweet Potatoes .. and those are HUGE! did you eat one all by yourself ?! lol

550ml jar of faith said...

I-So-Yucky! Haha! I can just imagine the cold fatty texture... not too pleasant! The sausage skewer wrapped in bacon, on the other hand, is pure poetry!

mimid3vils said...

Haha, I heard of this "fake" siu mai too :P It's made from flour...

Lingzie said...

the sausage wrapped with bacon looks amazing!! i will be visiting your blog a whole lot cos i may most likely be going for a short trip to macau!! yaayy!! :)

~Christine~Leng said...

i love sweet potatoes :) and those are huge! me want those snacks too ;P

Life for Beginners said...

Such a lovely contrast of colours - the golden yellow vs. the royal purple of the sweet potatoes... :)

terri@adailyobsession said...

no place like hk, i love it too!

jasmine said...

ah, HK is really heavenly for food huh? I bought those Aji Ichiban snacks for friends too... mostly the roast goose one since can't bring them the real deal :P

dawn said...

wow..sounds delicious...pictures are cool...in U.S. it is very hard to find thai food items. one of my friend introduced me to a great resource and i thought that i pass great along as well.
www.myethnicworld.com

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

aiyooh !! "Hou Hou Sek" oh!

Precious Pea said...

Anonymous: Ahhh...seems like we have the same taste! That would be such a satisfying meal!

Selba: Do consider holidaying in HK, you will enjoy it very much.

live2talk: Stinky tofu very stinky. I tried putting one into my mouth and when I started chewing, I just couldn't swallow it.

Calvin: Hong Kong standard is like that..so HKD2.50 is consider reasonable.

cumi & ciki: I only took one bite. It was sweet but i didn't like it cos it was mushy. But even if it's solid, i don't think i can walk after finishing it.

550ml jar of faith: Maybe heating the wings in the microwave would be much better. Eee...still can remember how geli it was.

mimid3vils: Yes wor..like eating steamed dough ball drizzled with soya.

lingzie: Oooo....i will be posting one post on my latest find in Macau that you must try. When you going? Gosh...maybe jump queue and post that up for you first.

christine: That would be the most perfect food to have during cold cold nite isn't it?

kenny: Yes...very nice colour combo. Hmmm..maybe i should use this combi for my room.

terri: Got got..Melbourne come in 2nd. Hahaha!

jasmime: Was the goose snack any good???

dawn: Thanks for sharing.

denise: Hehehe! Wipe wipe drool yah.

Little Inbox said...

Lots of street food that looks yummy, but taste yucky?

Jason said...

Really gotta praise you for your adventurous approach!

sc said...

looks like more not so nice snacks than good ones hor? :(

vialentino said...

nice food review and pics from u always

Cokeworld Citizen said...

Omg....I miss isoyaki duck tongue!!! Very delicious!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online