Monday, April 20, 2009

WONDERFUL SUPPER @ HUMEN

From the moment we arrived in Humen, Hubby's friend kept raving about the oysters he had in his previous trips. He said it's dirt cheap and delicious. We were of course delighted when he kept assuring us that he will bring us there for supper. Despite the light drizzle on our first night, we went ahead with our plan. I don't think we could sleep thinking of the oysters if we didn't go.

This open-air hawker place is located not too far from our hotel. We were spoilt with choices as there were simply too many stalls to choose from. We (Hub and I) just didn't know where to start! The rest of them were really focused, they aimed for the oysters!

3

While the rest went to look for a table, Hubby and I were glued to this stall. Hubby was attracted by the braised brisket and tendons while I was salivating over the stewed radish! We didn't expect it would taste so good. The soft juicy radish was the best as it absorbed all the flavour from the gravy. Dipped with the super chili oil...ahhh...I flew to heaven and came back down for more! Oooh...the taufupok or tofu puffs did a good job in absorbing all the rich flavour too! For this, we came back the next night for more.
4

Taadaaaa...presenting to you, the dish we came here for.....grilled oysters!! Topped with generous amount of garlic and super duper spicy chili paste, it was good! Plump and juicy! Of course, no one dare to eat it fresh, I don't think the locals do too. But with so much chilies on it, no bacteria would be spared! Having this on a rainy chilly night was simply perfect to end the day. Anyway, the first stall we had on the first night was so-so, but the 2nd night (photos below) rocks!!!
6

Steamed Gwai-Fah fish with chili and lots of it was good too! First time having Gwai-Fah fish and it was really fine and smooth. Look at the generous amount of chili oil.....yes, it was super duper HWAT...but like I said earlier, it was raining and slightly chilly, so this really warmed us up.
5

The waiter recommended a shellfish dish to us in which the name was unheard of. The moment the dish was served, we were like "Ooohh...Lala"! Nonetheless, we were quite satisfied with the sweet tasting lala.
7

For once, we managed to order a non-spicy dish! Salt-baked prawns served on a claypot filled with coarse salt. The prawn skewers were wrapped with aluminum foil buried right in the middle of the claypot. Err..looks like joss-stick on pot hor?? Surprisingly, the prawns were good. We didn't need to remove the shell as it was so crispy. We could taste the natural sweetness of the prawns as it was very lightly seasoned with salt. Goes so well with beer. Big thumbs up from us.
8

I have heard many people raving about duck tongue but I never have a chance to try it. Never did I expect my trip to Humen would be so fruitful. A plate of deep fried salt pepper duck tongue was placed in front of me.
9

Initially I was a bit skeptical to try as I felt a bit squirmish looking at it. But hey, I have tried bugs in Thailand before and no tongue is going to stop me...and yes, I lurveee duck tongue now. Hard to describe the unique flavour of the tongue. All I can say is, it is indeed very very tasty! Do we have this dish in KL?
10

Lastly, grilled squid we saw from a stall by the roadside. Heavily seasoned with spices....I find it so-so. The after taste of the hot spices irritated my throat, plenty of water needed after having this.
2

And this completes my journal of my 3 days 2 nights trip to Humen. I was so sad as I almost get to go for a 2nd trip in early May but we found out that it clashes with some family reunion. Oh well, nothing is more important than my family coming back from Melbourne...woohoo..and yes, it means MORE MORE MORE food exploration coming soon!

20 comments:

Willie said...

Oh Man! Those are super duper nice food!

::. Anton ::. said...

Naughty Ivy, always tantilizing our tastebuds with all the goodies. I just had lunch but won't hesitate to gobble that oyster and prawn.

Have a wonderful week. ^_^
+Ant+

Selba said...

Wooohooo... the food looks so tempting!!! I wanna try them all!

Julian Si said...

That squid is HUGE-r then the bloke's head!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

thats ALOT ALOT ALOT of food la...and all so red and spicy..

coffeesncookies said...

Humen seems soo 'local' . The flavour and cooking styles. I noticed a lot of chilli too ya ?

ai wei said...

that is a lot a lot a lot of food!
how the duck tongue taste?

i tried suckling pig's tongue before and it is superb. love it the most!!!

would love to try the duck tongue if there is chance. m wondering how it tastes?!

Emile Zola@life said...

all these are high cholestrol foods, but so yummy, can't think so much lor.

J2Kfm said...

all looked good. in particular the oysters with chillies, and duck tongues!!! looks far from being gross though. yum ....

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Everything looks so spicy! I wonder if I can tahan... >P

teckiee said...

wahhh the lok lok pic...so messy man

mimid3vils said...

I had my 1st duck tongue at Duck King~~

Sam's mistress said...

What fun in an open-air place like that! Such an adventure - and so filling!

Oop, I'm drooling again...

UnkaLeong said...

Someone pass me a kleenex. Bad idea to visit your site so early in the morning :P

PureGlutton said...

Yes, duck tongues are such delicacies - tried that in Shanghai...quite yummy! But the ones I had were braised, not fried. Will post about them later :-)

terri@adailyobsession said...

ivy, EVERYTHING looks yummy, even the duck tongues.n tt squid...! i lov the way they season those oysters too, n guei fa yu is considered a superior fish. yummy meal, i must go to humen!

KampungboyCitygal said...

i love duck tongue too, taiwan is famous for the braised version and they sell it in vacuum pack..yumz

foodbin said...

it's lunchtime, i am feeling hungry.

SimpleGirl said...

heard that duck tongue is one of the famous snack for Taiwanese....told by the local...but dare not to try

jason said...

What a wonderful spread of street food! All looked so reddish and spicy!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online