Tuesday, May 26, 2009

HAINAN CHICKEN RICE @ TAMAN SUPREME, CHERAS

While Hubby was at work, Wong - my Makan Gang member took charge of bringing my guests from Melbourne for a foodcrawl session in Cheras. At our first stop in Taman Segar, Christy expressed interest on Hainanese Chicken Rice. So off we went, driving through a hilly road and cutting through a residential area till we reached the hilltop of Taman Supreme. Hidden right at the end of a row of shophouses, we were greeted by a makeshift shack. Who would travel all the way up here for chicken rice right? WRONG! Business is good especially from those working nearby.

The stall is manned by an elderly couple and the menu is simple...rice, chicken and beansprout.
2

Spotted some press write-ups on them in Chinese.
3

We tried to avoid rice if possible so that we would not fill up our tummy space easily. But since we were here for the rice, we ordered a plate to share among the 5 of us. The rice texture was just right! Can you see each grain of the rice? Quite flavourful too. Drizzle with the soy-based gravy from the chicken, it could be a meal by itself!
4

The temptation of putting the yellow crunchy chicken skin to my mouth was too hard to resist. Ahhh...eat first think later!! The chicken meat was smooth and aromatic due to the added sesame oil. I was told half a chicken costs about RM17. Is that cheap or expensive?
5

Bro-in-law and his buddy was amazed with this plate of stir-fry beansprout which was full of wok-hei. It was crunchy and flavourful. They were even more amazed when they discovered the cook is actually an Indonesian helper. As usual, both of them sneaked to the cooking area to observe how it was done. And the secret? Chicken oil, chicken stock and HOT BURNING WOK!
6

This chicken rice stall/shack is located at the address below. Operating hours are from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., every Mondays till Saturdays.
7

Just look at how my satisfied guest posing to me after the meal...hahaha!
1

22 comments:

Cindy Khor said...

i miss chicken rice now... and the bean sprouts looks delicious... the half a chicken that cost rm17 is a tad too expensive, but if its for the goodness, then i would say "why not?"

ilene said...

Wow, all the way to Cheras just for chicken rice?!! It MUST be good then. Thanks for sharing!

boo_licious said...

oooh, this place has been featured many many times! Must give it a try. Can we go find it this friday? The chicken looks so yums.

Selba said...

Yummmm... the chicken looks so delicious!!!

Whoaaaa... the cook is an Indonesian? hopefully he will open his own stall later when he come back to Indonesia for good so I can try his cooking :)

thenomadGourmand said...

chic oil?? no wonder! what a find! now to complete my hunt for good CR I got to try this plc too!

Borneo Falcon said...

I am a fan of chicken rice and this one looks exceptional

noobcook said...

I wish to fly over just to try this one out. How can u stand sharing a plate of chicken rice? I want 2 plates to myself, haha

Onn said...

Can't remember when was the last time I had a piece of chicken that looks so good. All the chicken meat that I have been eating were from KFC.... dull and unappetizing compared to the hainan chicken here.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ohhh stir fried bean sprouts? usually its boiled and drizzled with oil..this is diff hor..

UnkaLeong said...

RM17 okaylar. Not expensive. Looks like corn fed chicken?

Jason said...

I think I know where is this... It goes up a hill road via Maybank/Chinese temple?

Pureglutton said...

Seems like it's Chicken Rice season now, hehe! But honestly, i really wouldn't know how to get to this place!

Beadpot said...

Eh, I live in Taman Supreme.. how come I don't know about this corner? Is it pass the guardhouse already, then turn right, then it's on the left??? Nice food blog. :)

mimid3vils said...

I love "banjir" my chicken rice with lots chili sauce :P

J2Kfm said...

wah ..so happy guest. sure damn sedap.
half a chick at RM17, a bit overpriced.
but if really good nvm lah.

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Where in earth is this place? I'll prolly get lost trying to find it! =P

Is chicken rice the "in" thing now? Whatever happened to street burgers?

daphne said...

goodness, look that the juicy chicken and skin.. and the rice! the seperated grains of goodness!

Emile Zola@life said...

aiyah, even it look so delicious, but it is too far from Klang to Cheras, I better stick to the chicken rice in Klang which is good too.

coffeesncookies said...

hey i blog on this too.The chicken is priced slightly on the high side, they claim it's 'kampung chicken'.. and the soup.. has been boiling since the night before on low fire.. that's what Suki claims lah...

Life for Beginners said...

I know what you mean about the rice being a meal by itself. For me, when the chicken rice itself is very, very good, I tend to carbo-load and ignore the chicken and simply whack the nasi! :P

Not very healthy, I know, but it's the sense or taste of complete satisfaction that matters, right, hehe...

Candy Wong said...

mmmm.... I am launching my new cake-roll too, that are Hainanese Fresh Durian Cake Roll & Kaya Margarine cake starting this friday (19th Jun) in my restaurant - My Kitchen Restaurant. Pls Log on to www.mykitchenrestaurant.com.my for details yaaa.... c u

Mc Acua said...

I live in taman supreme too. This is not on the hilltop as described, but rather at the foot of the hill. If you come from Leisure Mall (taman segar),go up the slope, passing TNB, Segar School, Bukit Segar...segar heights condo...then you have to turn left after the bump, go down the hill and after a sharp bend, take the first left turn, u'll see some shop lots and at the end of it...u're there!

If ur coming from the temple, go up the slope and the first right turn will lead u there..

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online