Thursday, May 14, 2009

NASI AYAM KAMPUNG @ RESTORAN A HASSAN

My Makan Gang discovered a new eating place that serves fantastic deep fried ayam kampung (free range chicken) and their constant ravings got me really curious. I was surprised when they told me that the restaurant is located along the Kesas Highway; Awan Besar rest area to be precise. To avoid paying for toll on our way there, we went via Taman OUG. Alternatively, you can enter into Kesas Highway via the LDP.
1

I didn't expect the place to be a huge restaurant with a building on its own. I thought it was just a normal small Malay nasi campur stall that we commonly see at rest areas. After 'googling' for more information, I found out that they have outlets all over Klang Valley such as Kampung Baru, USJ Taipan, Cheras, Shah Alam and Puchong. (Psst Wong, now we don't have to drive all the way here for the ayam kampung!)
2

We arrived at the restaurant around 11.00 a.m. hence most dishes were still untouched. Perfect!! I was so tempted to snap a photo of each dish.
3

So many choices, there are way too many dishes to choose from. Sadly, we had a very heavy breakfast that morning, hence our stomach space was reserved for the ayam kampung.
4

The ayam kampung are lightly rubbed with salt and deep fried on the spot. Do remember to ask for your preferred part. The size of the chicken is quite small, slightly bigger than spring chicken.
5

Perfectly golden in colour!! Judging from the crispy-looking outer layer, I thought it was too dry. I was so wrong. One bite and the sweet juices from the chicken came oozing out from the perfectly fried chicken. At that instance, I understand why my Makan Gang kept raving about it. The chicken was SOOO tasty!!!!
6

Wong took a small plate of beef rendang for my two Aussie guests (my bro-in-law and Benny) to try. If not mistaken, this is Kelantanese-style of cooking. I find the gravy too overpowered with five spice powder and cinnamon powder. I am not a fan of cinnamon (except cinnamon roll) so I didn't quite like this dish. The rest liked it though especially the fork tender beef.
7

Wong told me this beef curry dish is called Cincan Segar. I prefer this than the earlier version. I was too busy attacking the ayam kampung, otherwise, this would be a good dish to go with rice.
8

Wong also took some grilled petai or stinky beans for my bro-in-law to try. Amazingly, they kept popping one after another the petai pods into their mouth especially my bro-in-law who couldn't stand the smell of durians. Hubby refused to try but I did give it a go. I tried but I still don't like it. An acquired taste I guess.
9

I certainly will return to try other dishes and the ayam kampung (that goes without saying!) Check out the ravings from other bloggers below:

Masak-Masak
Hairy Berry
Lushia
Becklee

You can hunt for the Ayam Kampung at:
Awan Besar Rest Area:
Nasi Ayam Kampung (Cawangan Awam Besar)
Lebuhraya Shah Alam (KESAS Highway)
Kompleks Rehat Awam Besar

Kampung Baru:
Nasi Ayam Kampung
35 Medan Selera, Kampung Baru, KL

Shah Alam:
Restoran A. Hassan
Jalan Lawan Pedang 13/27
Section 13 Shah Alam, Selangor

USJ Taipan:
35G Jalan USJ 10/1
UEP Subang Jaya, Selangor

Puchong:
Restoran Tuan Faridah
Lot 61, Jln BP6/12 Bandar Bukit Puchong
Tel: 8060 6554
Open from 10am to 5pm. Closed on Fridays

26 comments:

Selba said...

The restaurant looks similiar to our Indonesian - Padang restaurant :)

Yummm... can tell how yummy the chicken is!

Emile Zola@life said...

Look at the chicken, my air liur sudah jatuh, must find one day try that one in nearby Shah Alam.

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Pea, you're such tease! Now you put fried ayam kampung in my head...how now?? I wonder if the Puchong branch is as good... =D

SimpleGirl said...

besides the kampung chicken, other dishes look mouth watering too! i can imagine how excited your BIL can be.....

SimpleGirl said...

besides the kampung chicken, other dishes look mouth watering too! i can imagine how excited your BIL can be.....

Precious Pea said...

Selba: Yes, almost similar.

Emile: Haha..you want tissue? The ayam kampung would go so well with a plate of nasi lemak ;)

Bangsar-Babe: Don't deprive yourself. Go to their outlet in Puchong tonite to find out...hehe.

simplegirl: Wait till you see what we had on our next meal.....that got him really excited.

Anonymous said...

i see there are addresses for all outlets except puchong. any idea where?

worldwindows said...

The ayam kampung looks yum. I may have missed this as I go there for Samuri Sate.

sc said...

ooo, the ayam kampung looks so juicy! drooling now..

Wong said...

The other dish is called Cincan Segar. It is a very diluted curry. More toward soto style. Yummy ....

Julian Si said...

Yummmmm... chicken rice! Halal too :-)

Isn't this the same "KESAS stop" with the world famous Haji Sam kajang satay, slurrrrp!

Precious Pea said...

anonymous: I am still trying to search for the address. I will update my post once I get hold of it.

worldwindows: The satay at the same rest area??

sc: You should go try..very tasty!

Wong: Thanks for the information. I can always count on you. So when are we going again???

Julian: I didn't see any other eating places apart from this restoran Hassan. Maybe it dominates the whole rest area??

thenomadGourmand said...

jz read abt it the otr day by Boo.now u! oh dear..i foresee a chic week!

Nic (KHKL) said...

hi5! we went to the same branch! ;D

i like the sambal belacan here. it's really, really tasty. it has got to be the generous amount of ingredients that went into it la. and the chicken, omg, is real kampung chicken! i was quite skeptical at first cos kena cheated many times by those chinese restaurants. but this is the real deal.

thule a.k.a leo said...

all the places are still far away from my house in KL :( sigh... I'll go to either Puchong or Kesas Highway's outlet!

thule a.k.a leo said...

all places are still far from where i stay in PJ, but I guess that I can make a trip to either Puchong or Kesas Highway next time if I happen to visit my bro & sis who stay there.
apart from beef & petai, I will attack almost anything that you mentioned here :)

mimid3vils said...

I like Malay style of fried chicken , less oily :)

foodbin said...

Haji Samsuri Kajang satay is there too, isn't it?
the free range chicken looks delicious!

CUMI & CIKI said...

Wa.. Looks damn shiok.. but one question... Where were u yday ar? missed u again:( lol

kampungboycitygal said...

thx precious pea. when u say very good, it means very very very good. oh n i went to baby seafood hehe

Lushia said...

Hehehhee.. I was there last week but for kajang satay by Samuri. And now after reading your post, I feel like going for the Nasi Ayam Kampung A Hassan again. Miss their belacan too!! ~Drooling!~

Julian Si said...

Hmmm, isn't this the same stop at Kesas :-)

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2006/12/satay-kajang-kesas-highway.html

and,

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2008/04/satay-haji-samuri-kesas.html

Drooool... I'm hungry (even though I had SS2's famous ramly burger at the ss2 selera square a few hrs ago!) .... zzzzzzz!

Chaokar said...

bring me bring me !

jason said...

I think my friend were raving about the satay in the vicinity too.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the puchong address. will go hunt for it and give it a try. *drools*

shima said...

Pea....i want to open A.Hassan franchaise, u know a toikey ar...how?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online