Thursday, June 04, 2009

SIM HAP KE @ Taman Connaught, Cheras

Latest discovery and ravings from my Makan Gang : SALT-BAKED LALAs (clams).

I was quite unlucky to be turned away twice at Sim Hap Ke Restaurant located at Taman Connaught. It was closed on both the days I went. I got luckier on my third trip. Together with my Makan Gang, Boolicious and WMW on a foodcrawl in Cheras last Friday, we made our 2nd stop at Sim Hap Ke.

My request was simple, a serving of the Salt-Baked Lalas to satisfy my curiousity! The clam smells as wonderful as it tasted. It has got a very nice aroma from the burnt salt but it wasn't salty at all. It was cooked perfectly too; juicy sweet and no fishy smell detected. This dish also won the approval from WMW, a non-seafood lover.
1

Look at the charred bits on the clams. Tasty stuff!!
2

The rest of the dishes didn't fail to disappoint either. The Stir-fry Pig's Intestine with Dried Shrimp was one of the best I ever had. Certainly no unpleasant odour that I usually fear whenever I order this dish. Full of wok-hei and the bits and pieces of drief shrimp and chilies were so tasty.
3

Being a regular, the chef recognised my Makan Gang and knew exactly what they will order to go with the dishes. A plate of fresh iceberg lettuce was served instead of rice. I find this dish is slightly salty on its own, but PERFECT when wrapped with the lettuce. Healtier too!
4

Deep Fried Squid Salt-Pepper Style...another great discovery. It was lightly battered and deep-fried to perfect golden brown. But it was the taste of the thin batter that impressed me. It reminded me of the 'Kentucky' chicken flour that my mum used to buy from the supermarket. Very very tasty!
5

In terms of taste, the gravy of this Steamed Spareribs with Black Bean Sauce would go perfectly with rice. However, it was the spareribs that I didn't quite like. It was very soft and I could taste the presence of lots of corn flour used to tenderize the meat. Nevertheless, after having all four dishes, I can conclude that the chef is really good in 'flavouring' his dishes. Don't think MSG is added here as I didn't hear Boolicious, who is MSG-intolerant complaint after the meal.
6

No itemized bill but the 4 dishes above costs RM63. They do have lots of interesting dishes with photos pasted all over the wall... it makes ordering a brisk! I spotted 'One Barrel Chicken', 'Frog's Leg with Vermicelli' and a stewed lotus root dish that I wanna return to try. I hope I have time to do another visit before flying off to Melbourne.
7

Sim Hap Ke Restaurant is located at:
26 Jalan Waras 1
Taman Connaught
56000 Kuala Lumpur
Operating Hours: 11.30 a.m - 3.00 p.m.; 5.30 p.m. - 10.00 p.m.
Closes every Thursday
Tel: 012-319.3381

37 comments:

SimpleGirl said...

what a nice place....no MSG, tasty and nice meal...some more very reasonable price!!!!

FAMILY FIRST said...

I'll be moving to Damai Perdana soon so thanks for this info. We often eat out esp weekends!

Life for Beginners said...

Ah, must bring Boolicious along the next we go out makan then... as the MSG Detector 2.0! :)

KY said...

Wahhh FAT LALA i want!!!

thule a.k.a leo said...

I can go there on when my wife wants to visit her sis in Alam Damai... ho ho ho!!! The lala looks promising

Precious Pea said...

Family First: Good news for you...there are lots of eateries to try around that area. There is one shop next to this that serves very good pan mee on certain days. Yet to try though.

Kenny: Haha...i am msg-tolerant so I don't really mind. ;)

KY: You will sure like this then..very fat and juicy!

thule: Hahaha...yes and please try more dishes and blog about it so I know what to order on my next visit.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ohh time to go snoop around connaught for this..still go back once in awhile to this area for food..

boo_licious said...

Yums, the food here was so good. Couldn't stop eating even though we ate so much at the first stop.

Nic (KHKL) said...

woah, all the dishes spell FLAVOURS! me havent tried salt baked lalas before but i can imagine the sweet taste of clams vs salty. *salivating* they open at night, so that's cool. a good place to makan on father's day! :D

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I've never heard of salt baked lalas... Ooohh...charred bits on lala...yum!!

ai wei said...

i tried on their other dishes before. sadly, me and family walked off with disappointment.
their portion is extremely small
@.@

terri@adailyobsession said...

looking at the food u ate, i am reminded of what my hub's hk cousin said when he visited kk: so much good seafood here but pity the cooks are lousy :(

Emile Zola@life said...

never heard of Salt-Baked Lalas before , look really yummy ler, maybe I should try to cook it at home.

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Miss your old place? I had a hard time adjusting too...ended up going back SS2 all the time.

Boo: Yalor...should do a series on the food we had in just 12 hours.

Nic: Good choice for Father's day! The lalas really good!

Bangsar-Babe: Do try. I prefer this style over kam heong and superior stock anytime.

ai wei: Really ar?? Did you blogged about it? What dishes you ordered?

terri: Aiyooo..how come you didn't cook for them? Am sure you are one of the best cook in KK! But i guess with good seafood...steam is the best!

J2Kfm said...

the lala has gotta be VERY fresh, to be steamed plain like that.

normally i take mine kam heong style, to cover any unfresh/fishy taste.

or steamed siong tong style, with heavy scent of wine.

thenomadGourmand said...

i get the most amazing recommendations frm you esp on dai chow places!
if i were to go one place a week, its stil prob gonna tk me a year!

Cindy Khor said...

this restaurant is booming with creative ideas to produce excellent tasting dish... i like the squid and the steam ribs and the lala from your pic. they look really yummy

sc said...

i can almost taste the sweetness of the lala...alas, i can only imagine it :(

CUMI & CIKI said...

one can never have too much stir fried pig's intestine!

PureGlutton said...

Baked lala - must try! And the pig intestines with lettuce - now, that's a novel way of eating it! But first, must find the way there!

thule a.k.a leo said...

I used to come to this area often during my working days in KL... most of my colleagues live in Cheras area, and we yam cha often nearby.
that's why I am very familiar with Cheras. Never pay attention to this shop before :)
I will come here definitely... maybe this weekend if I've got the time

jason said...

Salted baked lala - such interesting dish!

mimid3vils said...

the pig intestine look so yummy although i'm not taking any of it :P

Julian Si said...

Turned away twice, and you went back ... well done :-) SLURP!

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Precious Pea, wow, the lalas look really delicious. I love to eat them too.
I guess you and gang live to eat, huh? I eat to live.
I miss see hum char kueh teoh, especially the Penang kind.
We have here, but no see hum, beef only.
You have a beautiful weekend, Lee.

Onn said...

umm...those aren't pig's intestines if I am not mistaken...

nevertheless, it should be just as tasty if not better.

backStreetGluttons said...

Wa , the Makan Gang is doing well . Now also got salt baked lala !

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Precious Sista, you gotta organise a trip here, this time with me! So hungry looking at the pics. The intestines look sooo good.

JENCOOKS said...

Sure the black stuff is not from the lala itself. Nice recommendation of fried intestines.

UnkaLeong said...

OMG, the intestines..the intestines! Got their number di, now can call and check in advance hor? Please include me&becks in the makan trip, should you be organising one there soon yar ;)

Stephen said...

something to put into my makan list when I go back to KL end of the year. :D we should meet up in Melbourne for good food. :D

Tummythoz said...

*taking down shop name & tel no*

OooOoo if organising a makan-athon here, pretty pretty pls call me!

ai wei said...

i didnt blog about it. not carrying camera with me at that time.

we had pork ribs. they really served us with 5 sticks of pork ribs. one stick each. worse was, the pork ribs were with thick piece of tulang and with very little meat...

others would be the vege and cannot remember liao :P

Precious Pea said...

j2kfm: It was baked, not steamed. And yes, it must be very fresh. Didn't taste any fishiness at all.

NomadGourmand: Haha..do try this place out. Their dishes are much stronger in flavour..perfect to go with rice!

Cindy: They have quite a lot of interesting dishes and best of all, pictures of their dishes are pasted on the wall for you to choose.

sc: Make a trip there...very near to tat steamed fish place.

cumi and ciki: When I see you again, i will share some info on the intestine with you.

pureglutton: Sang Choy Bao is always delicious!

thule: Lots of eating places here..just not enuff time to try.

jason: First time for me too!

mimid3vils: WMW who doesn't take intestines also tried and she said not bad.

julian: Hahaha..am very persistent!

Uncle Lee: LOL! We certainly love to eat!

Onn: Thanks for the information on intestines. Delicious nonetheless!

bsg: Haha...living up to its reputation mah!

Luscious sista: Ooo...you keen? OK la...see if it can be arranged. BUt first, you need to give me a date.

jencooks: Black stuff are the burnt bits from salt.

unkaleong: Do call to book. Went again last weekend and it was crowded. Saw some people turned away too!

stephen: Yes yes....let's meet and makan in Melbourne!!

tummythoz: Hahaha..ok..if got makan there, sure will include you.

ai wei: I went back again last weekend and ordered their lotus root dish. Very good. But i will not order the spareribs if i ever return again.

wmw said...

Ahhh....lovely meal it was!

coffeesncookies said...

hey, saw this article in Sunday Star. Thks for the good food places.. keep it up.

ai wei said...

hehehe, i returned for meals and find out that there are a lot of improvements over here.

start loving here d :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online