Friday, August 21, 2009

ARTICHOKE SOUP

Honestly speaking, I don't know much about artichoke except for a few occasions where I had it on my pizza and pasta. Artichokes are expensive in Malaysia and not knowing how to cook it, I never bother to explore further. We were doing our weekend grocery shopping at Woolworths and came across a whole bin of artichokes for less than a dollar each! Brother-in-law told me that artichokes can lower cholesterol level and is very high with nutritional values. And hence, we grabbed some home.
1

When bro-in-law suggested artichoke soup, I was expecting thick creamy Western-style soup. But surprise surprise, it turned out to be the clear Chinese-style soup that I always love. As he was away at work, I was given the task to prepare the soup for dinner. For about 3 liters of water, I used 2 florets of artichoke. Cut off the stem and divide the artichoke bud into half.
2

Give it a good rinse to discard any dirt in the center of the bud.
3

As for the meat to go with the soup, it is entirely up to you. I have tried using both chicken and pork on separate occasion. Personally I always prefer chicken soup for the sweet chic aroma. On my next attempt, I shall throw in some dried scallops, dried octopus or even dried oysters. I can already imagine how good the soup will turn out to be. Yumzz! Anyway, the picture below was the meat I used for the artichoke soup on my second attempt. Why I put this picture up instead of the chicken?? Well...spot that dark maroon colour piece of liver-lookalike thingy? Try guessing which part of a pig it belongs to???
4

I was horrified when I saw it. It looked like a long long piece of tongue!!! Bro-in-law told me it was some sort of a pig's internal organ. I was not convinced! I guess he didn't want to scare me off but I am pretty sure it was a piece of pig's tongue. The smell when cooked was exactly like pig's liver. I didn't dare to eat it and I was told the texture is like spongey loofah.
5

Simmer the artichokes and meat in a pot of boiling water on low fire for 2 hours. Season with a little bit of salt and tada....a very nutritionous bowl of clear and sweet artichoke soup. Absolutely perfect on cold rainy days.
6

While I was googling for artichoke recipe, I came across some really interesting photos. I have never heard of artichoke flowers before...aren't they beautiful???

Picture taken from HERE
artichoke flower

Picture taken from Wikipedia.
400px-Unidentified_Flower_6677

Now now..back to googling to see how I can plant this in my farm....not Pea Farm in Malaysia but my new farm in Melbourne which I am going to share with you soon.

Have a good weekend!!!!

16 comments:

Selba said...

I don't think I've eaten artichoke soup before... Ah.. gotta try it someday!

SimpleGirl said...

i know antichoke is high in nutritional value, but first time seeing it...and surprise to know that it taste like chinese soup ya!

ICook4Fun said...

This is a new way of eating artichoke for me. I will usually boil it whole and eat only the choke.

Sonia said...

my first time knowing this , artichoke , amazing it is high in nutrition, but I have not seen in MY here, waste lah..

Precious Pea said...

Selba: Do try :)

Simplegirl: It has got a very clear and nice aroma once cooked. Love it and this gonna be my top no 1 soup for a long long time.

icook4fun: Just boil like that and eat???? Hmm..I shall try it. Maybe can even bake it?? Hope it's still on sale..gonna grab a few to experiment with it.

sonia: You can find artichoke in those higher end supermarket such as Cold Storage and even Jusco.

Anonymous said...

Fyi, that long maroon thing is the pig's spleen.

Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy said...

artichokes here are very expensive laaaa...but go to farmer's markets in Melbourne. We might be there next Mar/Apr babe. Looking at tix prices now. Was that part the spleen?

Courgette/Zucchini flowers tempura style. Something else to try. ;-)

Sounds like you're having fun.

Precious Pea said...

Anonymous: Thanks for the info. But still not my kind of food..hehe.

Allan & Nigel: Cool!!! Come on over!!! Am planting zucchini in my garden now...not for the zucchini but for its flower.

jason said...

Pretty flowers. So how does artichoke tastes like?

PureGlutton said...

Artichokes are also alien to me, haha! Never knew what to do with it. But thanks for showing that it can be boiled just like any of our chinese soups - yeah, dump in the dried oysters/sotong/scallops - wonderful aroma!

terri@adailyobsession said...

never had chinese artichoke soup b4--how was it? tt piece of tongue is the spleen. what a long spleen.

expired foodie said...

Wow! Artichoke...Here super expensive lah....
But... I tried it before in a pizza... NYUMMMM....
Hope u experiment more wif the artichokes n tell us :))

Pam

Simon Seow said...

Looks like liver. I never tasted artichoke before. Quite rare in Malaysia right?

chablis said...

Hi! Glad to see you settling down nicely and experimenting with local produce. I just bought an artichoke and will try makign soup out of it as recommended. Do you eat the plant as well?

Anonymous said...

how is artichoke benefit our thymus, which help to function our T-cell, anyone able to share?

Anonymous said...

what is artichoke in Malay?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online