Wednesday, August 26, 2009

MY OZZIE FARM

There is a small plot of land at the side of my sister's house where my bro-in-law used to plant herbs such as rosemary and thyme. Somehow, this sad plot of land has been abandoned for years and the only thing growing were weeds and grasses. While browsing at the $2 shop with my sis couple of weeks ago, I came across a variety of vegetable seedlings for sale. Since I am so free at home, why not?
1

And so, one very cold and windy evening with several layers of thick clothing on, I went to clear up the plot of land. My nephew who excitedly told me that he gonna help me decided to stay in to watch his favourite cartoon, Bakugan! I thought the work gonna take me less than 15 minutes but I ended up spending more than an hour clearing the weeds, filling it up with fresh new soil and cleaning up the place (which I dreaded most).
2

And finally, SOWING time!!! I have planted zucchini, tomato, leek and rocket according to its instruction. I would be very happy if at least one of them grow. I wonder if Asian vegetable seedlings are available here.
3

5 more days to go and Spring will be here!!! Flowers flowers blooming everywhere. Magnolias! Tulips! Daffodils! Ahhh...am gonna plant those next year.
4

Anyway, just to share a video that I took last week while I was drying my laundry when the sunny weather suddenly turned into a storm. I was so scared that the trees might fall onto the garage!

video

21 comments:

thule a.k.a leo said...

ah!! life in melbourne! ain't it great???

foodbin said...

such unpredictable weather-hope your green fingers would work on your Ozzie farm!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

i've no doubt that you'll be able to turn that plot into a beautiful vegetable garden!

Kavi said...

good luck on your farm... i m sure it will turn out a lovely vegetable garden!!!!

Lianne said...

hmmm strange, i think my earlier message got lost. anyway, wanna congratulate you on your new farm! can´t wait to see you harvest them LOTS!

ai wei said...

lovely!!! must expand ur farm ya!!! can't wait to see you harvesting the yields :)

My Food Safari said...

You can buy chinese vege. seeds in Bunnings. I've seen ones with 5 different types of seeds in a pack.

Anonymous said...

Haha funny you ending up in Melbourne. I'm flying to KL end of next month. Took your advice and flying AirAsia. Staying near KLCC. Any recommendations for night bazaar?


Aussie Tourist

wmw said...

Hahha...thought you would end the post with a pic of your farm from Farm Town! ;o)

SimpleGirl said...

waiting to see ur "farming results" in the near future!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

part time farmer?

CUMI & CIKI said...

wow.. can't wait to see how ur crops turn out!

Julian Si said...

EEeeepp... No storms here in the desert, only sand ones!

Hope you liked my pork v chicken sandwich post, no fight lah :-)

You take care!!

PureGlutton said...

Can't wait to see the veges growing in that plot of yours - i'm very sure they will be growing abundantly!

terri@adailyobsession said...

aussie trees are so...aussie. not much to look at :D u must've put on at least 5 kgs by now. australia is truly the land of milk n honey.

(( SKY )) said...

I buy Chinese vege seeds online. Though I had to put my garden hobby aside for now.

shirls said...

Hi Precious Pea! =)

Welcome to Melbourne!! Been reading your blog for some time now.. Even tried some of your recipes!!! My hubby's fav is the braised pork belly dish =) it's absolute yumm!

Hope you're enjoying living in a new country.. It's a lil cold here.. and not as happening as good ole' Malaysia... But i'm sure you would enjoy your time here =)) Many places to makan makan and cuba try! i'm sure it's hard being away from your loved ones... I hope and pray that you're feeling better now!

Hazza said...

Amazed to see DT Brown stuff on sale in oz too!

~Christine~Leng said...

strong wind! haha.
you really like farming! you have the green finger for it :)
when it's harvesting time, remember to share with us too yea!

ling239 said...

hmmmm.... already miss the local veggie here ? ^_^

jason said...

When you say "sowing", I suddenly thought of "plowing". Hahaha.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online