Monday, August 03, 2009

OYSTERS!! OYSTERS!! @ Barilla Bay, Tasmania

This is Barilla Bay Tasmania - heaven to all oyster lovers! Barilla Bay (as in the real bay) is located right behind this building. Dining at the upper deck offers spectacular view of the bay but for those who opt for takeaway, the gourmet deli offering an extensive range of Tasmanian produce is located at the lower level. Oyster farm tour is available too and booking is necessary. Since we were too early for the tour, we decided to head off to some wineries before returning to Barilla Bay in the afternoon.
1

But but but, we just couldn't resist the temptation of having a dozen or two or three right at that moment...and in the end, we ended up having 5 dozens! Takeaway oysters are way much cheaper than having it right at their deli. If I remember correctly, a dozen only cost less than AUD11.00 and even cheaper for unopened oysters. And so here we are, feasting at our car.
3

My bro-in-law actually packed a bottle of his homemade sauce specially to go with the oysters. It was GOOD!!! But I enjoyed having it with a squeeze of lemon juice to enjoy its natural sweetness. Nothing beats having fresh oysters at its source!! Ooolala...I so love Barilla!!!
4

The shore-based farm tour took about 45 minutes and we were shown on ways to breed oyster, the process flow and right till we put it into our mouth. At the end of the tour, each of us were offered an oyster each, opened right on the spot.
Eh?? Only 1??
8

A basket loaded with fresh harvested oysters. Yummy yum yum...if only I can have it all.
7

A shot before I glided it down my throat. Sooo full of sea flavour...salty and sweet!
9

After the tour, we were asked to return back to the gourmet deli area and guess what?? We were greeted by more oysters!!!! Ooolala....
10

We ended up buying 10 more dozens to bring home for dinner.
2

For those who doesn't fancy raw oysters like my dad and nephew (he said it tasted ugly!), oyster omelet is just as yummy too!
11

Barilla Bay Tasmania is located at:
1388 Tasman Highway
Cambridge, Hobart
Tel: 03-6248.5454
Email: info@barillabay.com.au

For further information on the farm tour and booking, check out there website HERE.

33 comments:

Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy said...

YAY! Isn't Tasmania LOVELY? I loved our visit there and the fresh and cooked sampler plate we ate at the restaurant too! :-)

Happy for your Pea. May your new home bring you only the happiness you deserve! :-)

ai wei said...

Fresh Fresh FRESH!

wow, the oyster omelette must be deeeeeeelicious!

worldwindows said...

My favourite shellfish on the fresh! Nothing can beat these.

Precious Pea said...

Hi Allan and Nigel! Yes, love this place. Thanks..am settling here in Melb very well. Do come visit yah.

aiwei: Hehehe..i still prefer the oyster raw than cooked.

worldwindows: Yumyumyum...wish I could have a dozen or two now.

Selba said...

Oyster!!! Yummy! Definitely looks so delicious and fresh! I want some :D

Live2Talk said...

Your type of food definitely! The oyster looks huge my friend :)

SimpleGirl said...

reminds me of the nice oysters i had in gold coast few months back....super fresh!!!simply yummy!!

Agnes Cheong said...

Wow...osyter, I always unlucky and tasted those unfresh osyter. Sad~~~I want fresh osyter

tigerfish said...

You made Orh-Jian? ;p

Sonia said...

this definitely look fresh and yummyu..

jason said...

It looked... fresh!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

thats definitely oyster overload!!!

Nic (KHKL) said...

wah, i've never seen such huge oysters used in omelettes! baked with cheese also nice la, me thinks. yummy!

Precious Pea said...

Selba: Come come...come and grab some!! Slurps!

live2talk: Hehehe..yeah...my kind of food. Salivate thinking of it now.

simplegirl: Ahhh...tat reminds me that I had wonderful oysters at Gold Coast too. From Sydney if not mistaken.

Agnes: Oh dear...hope u didn't end up with stomach upset.

tigerfish: Yep, the men cooked that. I just sat and watched.

sonia and jason: Definitely yummy!

NJoe: Yalor..decided to go all out since it's so fresh and cheap.

Nic: Ahhh..would love it baked more than omelet. A bit wasteful to have such big fresh oyster cooked with egg.

J2Kfm said...

wah ... lovely, briny and sweet.
but truthfully i also cannot slurp one too many lah. a bit jelak ...

thule a.k.a leo said...

oh my gosh!!! Oyster!!! so fresh that I can easily down a dozen of this delicacy... hahahah!!
but it's so expensive here in Malaysia

Pureglutton said...

Ooh...i love raw fresh oysters but can't eat too many though! Those that u had certainly superfresh eh! Straight from the sea into the mouth!

550ml jar of faith said...

Wow, simply amazing!! I've been feeling so deprived of oysters, dreaming about Bluff oysters etc. Now Barilla is a new name to contend with for oyster indulgence!

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Did you just say 10 more dozens??!?

Lianne said...

tell your daddy ah, oyster is best to be eaten raw lah .. cook already taste a bit different :-p how are you settling there? is it cold? must keep your self warm yeah, otherwise kena lung infection like me last year ...

terri@adailyobsession said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! tt close-up photo of the oyster--it's alive, so fresh!! u so lucky!

Tummythoz said...

Flood alert in mouth just went off.

UnkaLeong said...

So cheap! 10 more dozen...er my maths not so good..10*12 = 120??? i give you my address, send me some? Hahaha..

Settling in nicely I see;) Take care yar! *hugs*

Timothy Low said...

Omigosh ... that's a whole load of oysters and they look absolutely deeeeeeelicious.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

O.M.G.

Aaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhh.

allie said...

such a big oyster in those omelete! OMG~~~

Julian Si said...

Looks so fabulous ... even though I am not a fan of raw oystas!

Mmmmh ... Hor Chien in Aussieland, you lucky so and so :-)

Paul said...

Hi Precious,

I've been following your blog all this while but first time to drop a comment.

Great to know that you have finally settled down in Melb. I'm still making plans for my first entry trip, probably by end of this year.

Love your blog, at least I will have a complete list of good hangouts and restaurants before my family and I move there for good.

Take care and have fun down under.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Whoa! I get out of the loop for a while and check in to see you've moved to another country! Sad that hubby won't be there for a while, but at least you have your sister. And fresh oysters. Fresh oysters makes anyone happy. ;)

JC @ Jessey said...

Oh mama.. Oyster Oyster! I love it!!! Looks so tempting.. ^0^

JC @ Jessey said...

Oh mama.. Oyster Oyster! I love it!!! Looks so tempting.. ^0^

boo_licious said...

I want oysters!!! Yums, they look so fresh, briny and huge.

mimid3vils said...

I want big juicy oyster in my oh chien!!!! I dare not eat raw one :P

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online