Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Awesome Sambal Ikan Bilis!

Bro-in-law's buddy came over for a visit on Monday and he brought along a big container of fiery red cili padi a.k.a bird's eye chili for me. All chopped up for convenience purpose and frozen up so that it could last longer in the freezer. I love the cili padi here as it way MUCH MUCH spicier and has got more chili flavour to it as compared to those in Malaysia.
1

I have been craving for nasi lemak for a long long time and I didn't quite like my own recipe for sambal ikan bilis (dried anchovies). There are some Malaysian restaurants around my area but I didn't want to disappoint myself either. As always, I know exactly who to consult, Boolicious! She forwarded a recipe for Nasi Lemak Bungkus which was featured in past issue of Flavours magazine. No wonder my recipe sucks...there is no garlic needed in this dish!! Anyway, here is the recipe, very easy to cook with very simple ingredients:

Sambal Ikan Bilis (taken from Flavours Magazine)
1 ½ big onions, peeled and finely ground
100ml cooking oil
400ml cili boh (I blended the bird's eye chili into paste..super duper HOTT!!)
1 tsp shrimp paste (belacan)
3 big onions, peeled and sliced
80g brown sugar (I put in more as my chili paste was too hot)
Tamarind juice, extracted from 15g tamarind pulp mixed with 200ml water
80g ikan bilis, deep-fried

Heat oil in wok or a large pot. Saute ground onions, cili boh and shrimp paste until fragrant. Stir continuously. Add sliced onions, brown sugar, tamarind juice and simmer for 5 minutes. Lastly add the deep-fried ikan bilis and turn off heat. Set aside and serve with nasi lemak (coconut rice).

The end result was PERFECT!!! Initially I find the belacan taste a bit too strong as I think I put a little too much but after leaving it overnight, it was even tastier and more flavourful.
2

I love it so much that I had it for dinner and supper yesterday, as well as breakfast this morning and washed it down with a cup of coffee laden with condensed and evaporated milk. I have been having toast and cereal for breakfast for the past 2 months, I was the happiest woman on Earth this morning!
3

Bro-in-law immediately called his buddy a.k.a my chili supplier over this morning for lunch. From a small bowl of rice, he ended up having one large plate of rice.....feel so flattered when he said my sambal is of restaurant standard...hehehe. He assured me, more supply of cili padi coming up this weekend...WOOooo HOooo!!!

31 comments:

boo_licious said...

Glad you love the sambal. Looks very very delicious. Aiks, now I feel like having nasi lemak for lunch.

Live2Talk said...

Wah nice nice (remember the other day on msn we were talking about the SS2 nasi lemak with Seng Gor)! I love the egg - P.E.R.F.E.C.T. :D

Anonymous said...

Woohoo.... nasi lemak with perfect sambal!! Open shop in Melb!!! hehehehehe

Precious Pea said...

Boo: Big thank you to you once again. Have a yummy nasi lemak lunch!

live2talk: Aiyerr...i so miss the SS2 nasi lemak too but trying hard NOT to think of it. Yea...i love runny egg yolk too.

Anonymous: Hahaha, actually it's under consideration. ;)

Sonia said...

Wah, your nasi lemak look really delicious, yummy yummy. Recently I managed to found one Malay stall sell good nasi lemak at Setia Alam here..

thule a.k.a leo said...

yah.. it's normal to miss Malaysian food while overseas... glad you had boolicious to help you out :)
cili padi in Malaysia can be spicy too... those that we had in restaurants are inferior in quality. My parents have a few pots of cili padi for their own consumption... very hot I tell you!

Kavi said...

yummy...look do delicious....actually i miss the SS2 nasi lemak too... hmmm shall wait till u come back !!!!!

Life for Beginners said...

Sweetness! Where were you and your nasi lemak when I was backpacking in Melbourne? Could have been a saviour to my very Malaysian cravings then, haha.

Good job on the authentic sambal, dear. :)

ilene said...

Wow, your sambal looks extremely good! Ok, since there's a long holiday round the corner, I'm going to cook sambal ikan bilis following your recipe. Thanks PP!

P/s: Once your restaurant is set up, do share with me the address.

Lianne said...

thankssss for sharing the recipe! will go and hunt down fresh chillies later! keke

Hazza said...

Nice to see you too had a craving for NL! :-D

Tummythoz said...

Oh yes. The cilipadi downunder is no joke!

Your sambal sure looks good. Such appetising colour!

ai wei said...

nasi lemak in aus. you are very geng. must try to set up an authentic malaysian cuisine in aus!

J2Kfm said...

ha?! how can the cili padi there be SPICIER than ours here?! aiks.
this is new. never knew the ppl down under can take their heat!

Precious Pea said...

Sonia: Is it the one at the car park opposite the Ijok Restaurant??

Leo: Even back in M'sia, I usually buy the expensive cili padi which is selling at RM4 per packet.

Kavi: Aii..trying hard not to think of them.

Kenny: When were you in Melbourne? Never mind, come again and this time you will surely get some fiery hot sambal ikan bilis for bfast!

ilene: Do try it out and remember to snap some pics!

Lianne: Hehehe. You didn't plant any chili at home?

Hazza: After I saw your post, I lagi crave for it.

tummythoz: Thanks! :)

j2kfm: Yalor, I also dun understand why those in M'sia not spicy especially those green ones. Could it be the fertilizer used??

Precious Pea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Selba said...

The sambal looks so good!!!

kat said...

Toast and cereal after some time, just seems so blah hor? And their bread loaf is so humongous! I got so fed up with toast, even crappy aussie-made maggi mee tasted good.

Ya, it's amazing how they have such fiery cilis there. My uncle served some with noodles. I didn't know until I bit into one, and my tongue was numb for the rest of the meal!!

I have some frozen cili boh. I think nasi lemak is next on the menu.. :D

Anonymous said...

u dont need to work ?

PureGlutton said...

I always go for the chilli padi Kampung here (smaller-sized ones) - definitely more fragrant than the regular ones.
Nice sambal there. I do add in a bit of garlic - just a BIT only, not too much - it gives a nice flavour to the sambal. When are u opening a NL restaurant there? :-)

worldwindows said...

You are at your best with this wonderful condiment that will go with any dish. Well almost!

Nic (KHKL) said...

arrrgghhh! it's almost 1 am here and yr sambal makes me hungry. hmmm, maybe i shd go for siu yeh (supper) now...arrgghhh!

the sambal looks good la. good job, precious pea. :)

Anonymous said...

You should plant some chilli padi in your Ozzie Farm then. :)

Charmaine said...

The cili padi grown in Oz is definitely hotter than ones grown in Msia. I have a few cili padi trees in my herb garden as well, too expensive to buy, need to grow my own supply. To make the sambal, I usually add red capsicums to reduce the heat level.

daphne said...

lethal weapon there but I miss it sooo much! U should package it and sell it!

daphne said...

lethal weapon there but I miss it sooo much! U should package it and sell it!

wmw said...

:o( I'm back and I WANNNNTTTT Nasi Lemak!

Julian Si said...

WOW! That looks deeelish!

Hope it inspires my wifey to try it out, but I cant complain .. have had Three Cup Chicken, Ham Yue Fah Lam Poh and more :-)

Happy Eid from the Middle East!!

mimid3vils said...

The boiled egg very nice, The egg yolk is half cooked!!

tigerfish said...

This is one of Nasi Lemak classics. No chicken wings...just egg, chili, cucumber and rice :D

Jason said...

Your cooking is always on par with restaurants' quality in our opinion!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online