Friday, October 16, 2009

LUNCH @ SEK YUEN, JALAN PUDU, K.L.

While my pot of soup consisting of pork stomach, pork ribs, beancurd sheets, gingko nuts and dried scallops is bubbling away nicely on the stove, I have a sudden urge to do a food post. With the nice aroma of pork stomach and ribs filling every inches of the house (Oppss!! Excuse me, I need to close all the bedroom doors!), I suddenly recalled a very satisfying lunch I had with my Makan Gang before I left for Melbourne.

Our lunch at Sek Yuen Restaurant located at Jalan Pudu was one of the many many meals we had that day. My first visit to this famous old Chinese restaurant two years back was memorable for a good reason. It was the first time I had "Stuffed Duck with Shark's Fin", a very luxurious dish that came with a hefty price tag. You can read all about my first visit to Sek Yuen here.

Being the 2nd stop of the day (we had 2 set lunches at Max iHaus earlier), we decided to go 'light'! Wong told me earlier that I should give their Pork Stomach with Pepper soup a try....and he was right, it was absolutely awesome! The soup was sweet and flavourful with just the right amount of peppery to it. Lots of soft chicken feet to munch on and of course not forgetting the soft yet chewy chunks of pork stomach. Never had such good soup elsewhere before.
1

The Stir-fry Beef with Chives was good too. Full of 'wok hei' and I just love the taste of chives. I am not so into 'soda-marinated' meat though but I could imagine how lovely this dish would be if crunchy chicken giblets were used instead. I wouldn't even mind a plate of plain stir-fry chives!
2

Crispy on the outside, the flesh of this Deep Fried Grass Carp Belly was soft and juicy. Drizzled with light soya sauce, a bowl of white rice is a must!
3

Their Deep Fried Chinese Spring Rolls reminded me of my late mum as she used to make this only during special Chinese festivals. A very time consuming dish and what makes it tasty was the pig's caul she used to roll the pork meat paste together. Pig's caul are thin, transparent piece of fat that looks almost like a net, hence we call it "Jue Moong Yau" or directly translate as "Pig's Net Oil" in Cantonese. Hard to find from the butcher nowadays so the last time my mum made this, I was still a very little girl. Coming back to this dish, Sek Yuen did it well too although I still find my mum's the best. The pork paste was tasty and I enjoyed biting into the savoury crispy skin.
4

Sitting right in front of the kitchen entrance does have its advantages. Wong saw this dish of Cold Chicken being whisked pass our table. Available in either small or large serving, we were told that they were only left with the large portion. Do order in advance if you intend to try this dish, as ample time is required to thaw this dish. Taken out from the freezer, this cold dish consisting of deboned whole chicken and jellyfish were drizzled with thick thousand island lookalike sauce. Luckily weather was scorching hot the day we went, the dish thawed pretty fast. Looking back at my first post on Sek Yuen, it turned out that we had this before in our 4 - Season Platter! Not too bad but I do find the sauce a bit too rich and thick, perhaps should ask them to serve that aside instead.
5

Once again, Sek Yuen didn't fail to disappoint. It was a good lunch and memorable too as the taste of the Pork Stomach soup is still lingering in my mind. Speaking of soup, mine should be ready by now. Time to go and grab myself a bowl to warm myself up!

Sek Yuen is located at:
313-1, Jalan Pudu, KL (non airconditioned)
315, Jalan Pudu KL (airconditioned)
Tel: 03-92220903

19 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

looks like everything is settled in melbourne? hope to see more posts coming up!

jason said...

Wah, you call that "light"??? :p

Stephen said...

wah... in Melb also can blog about food in KL. very keng!

foodbin said...

going there for lunch tomorrow to savor the cold chicken.

~Christine~Leng said...

heard so much about this restaurant but have yet to try it ;)

Tarts and Pies said...

Pig's Net Oil (Chee Mong Yao)!
It is another artery-clogging food...

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Yeah, life is good here. So when are you coming over??

Jason: It was 'supposed' to be light but somehow ended being heavy. After this meal, we still went to three places before ending the day with dinner at Max again.

Stephen: Haha..it was the pig's stomach fault. The soup at Sek Yuen was really good, do try if you happen to be in KL.

foodbin: Enjoy! Remember to ask them not to put too much sauce over it. Find it a bit jelak.

Christine Leng: Do try when you have a chance, they have lots of specialty dishes.

Tarts and Pies: Why artery-clogging food always taste so good??

J2Kfm said...

still yet to taste Sek Yuen's offerings, and the nostalgic ambience.
must go in large group lah ...

thule a.k.a leo said...

I heard that they have a duck dish that has to be ordered in advance...

thenomadGourmand said...

On my to eat for like forever..yeeshhhh..hope to finally able to go soon~

Sonia said...

My 1st time know this-Pig's Net Oil (Chee Mong Yao), all dishes look so delicious, I will make my way to place in one of this day.

KY said...

soup and beef with chives looks darn good

UnkaLeong said...

Still have yet to try this place! *calling all the floggers*

CUMI & CIKI said...

excellent! i can has hunger! hehe

Tummythoz said...

Watcha cooking? Sounds more interesting than the (ahem)light lunch.

Nic (KHKL) said...

this is a surprise la! cos i never knew sek yuen opens for lunch! thanks for the info, precious pea. see la, ppl staying in ozzy also know more about kl food than me. *malu* haha.

ling239 said...

sei lor....
me now craving for Pork Stomach soup leh....=.="

mimid3vils said...

My mom have her own recipe of meat roll too :)

rokh said...

ooo seems like lunch is calling me there!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online