Monday, December 21, 2009

King Prawns with Glass Noodle in Sizzling Wok

Bro-in-law and I spotted fresh King Prawns on special offer at Safeway last week. Grabbed some home and initially we planned to have it steamed until I came up with the idea of cooking it with glass noodle instead. Actually, I was craving for Claypot Glass Noodle with Crabs, a wonderful dish I once had in Bercham (a small town in Perak, Malaysia) many many years ago. Since it is not crabby season now, I was pretty certain that prawns would be good on this dish as well. True enough, it turned out so good that we headed back to Safeway the following cold and pouring night to grab more prawns.
1

We used lots of sliced ginger, spring onions, garlic, a tablespoon of crushed white pepper and the most important ingredient: LARD! On the first night, we used pork fats to extract the oil and the dish turned out so flavourful and delicious. We ran out of pork fat the second night so we used fats from bacon instead. Big difference, it lack of the 'ommmpphh' aroma from the fresh pork fats.
2

From 2 packets of glass noodle on the first night, we used 3 packets the second night cos it was so tasty after it absorbed all the flavour from the prawns. Soak to soften before adding it into the dish.
3

First of all, heat up the wok and WITHOUT any oil, pan fry the pork or bacon fats until golden brown. Then, put in the ginger, garlic and crushed pepper. If you don't intend to use any of those artery-clogging fats, you can substitute with a tablespoon of cooking oil.
6

Once you get the wonderful aroma from the garlic and pepper, throw in the prawns.
7

For seasoning, add a touch of magic! Can you spot those droplets from my bro-in-law's finger?? Cool picture eh?? He mixed a concoction of seasoning sauce using oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar and cooking wine.
8

Finally, put in the spring onions and glass noodle, give it a good stir. Although the original version of Glass Noodle with Crabs I had in Bercham was much soupier, I find this homecooked version not too bad, in fact, not too bad at all! Love the glass noodle the most as it was so tasty. I really hope to try cooking this dish again with crabs next time.
9

One more thing, just to share my new found love....Jacob's Creek Sparkling Moscato! Very light and refreshing bubbly Rosé with summer berry flavours. Absolutely perfect wine to pair with this yummy dish!
1

20 comments:

noobcook said...

What a luxurious bowl of prawn with glass noodles. And how wonderful to enjoy with sparkling wine, hehe

KY said...

waaa, making me hungryyy!

CUMI & CIKI said...

yumz! i want big prawn~!

Amelia said...

can you see me salivating.....

Precious Pea said...

noobcook: Bliss! Haha!

KY: Lunch time soon right??

Cumi: Come on over!

Amelia: Tissue?

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I love moscato too! Very easy drinking hor? Looks damn good la...hungry already. 0_o

foodbin said...

glass noodle not suitable for people with digestive problems!
those prawns are a sight to behold.

Jun said...

hahaha glad u enjoyed SA wines ;)

Sonia said...

Adoi, look at this prawan and noodle, I feel so hungry ler. I have never cook this way before, next time I will try to cook but I will replace glass noodle with meehoon..

gfad said...

Looks divine! And so easy to whip up too! Lucky gurl you, pea. Living with such a fantastic cook!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2010, pea!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

My kind of meal. I wish I could have some now! Looks terribly delicious.

UnkaLeong said...

Chis! Why did I pop by so early in the morning? Hahahah...Now have to wait till lunch time ;) Looks like Goong Orb Woon Sen A popular Thai Dish.

CUMI & CIKI said...

Merry Christmas and happy new year babes..see you in 2010!! muaks!

jason said...

Oohh.. will include that place in the itinerary. *wink

thule a.k.a leo said...

Merry Christmas!!
My eyes can't stop looking at the Mascato :) of course, the food looks divine too

mimid3vils said...

Merry X'mas & Happy New Year!!!!!

sc said...

Merry Xmas and Happy new year Pea!

terri@adailyobsession said...

merry christmas dear!

Julian Si said...

Ah... so very Thai-esque, WOON SEN KOONG. I like!

MERRY CHRiSTMAS to furkids and all the family :-) from Abu Dhabi!!

~Christine~Leng said...

i should try this! both my fave. pranws and glass noodles. great combination :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online