Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Birthday Dinner @ Tao's

First of all, a big thank you to all my friends who left me lovely birthday wishes in Facebook, some via MSN and SMS, and especially those who even called me on my mobile phone, I was so delighted to hear some chirpy familiar voices. Being away from home on my special day is certainly not easy. I was yearning for a cuddle from Hubby and a slimy lick or two from my furry kiddos. But all your wishes really warmed my heart, thank you thank you thank you.

My family treated me to a lovely birthday dinner at Tao's which is located at Bulleen Rd, just 5-mins drive away from home. I just found out that they have another outlet in Singapore. Tao's is famous for its set menu that features the best of both Japanese and French fine cuisine. I find it very reasonably priced too as the 7-course dinner only costs AUD50 whereas lunch is at AUD38 for 6-course meal.
1

Nathan gave thumbs up for his meal consisting of pumpkin soup, teriyaki chicken and ice cream, washed down by a glass of apple juice. Kids menu is priced at AUD20. 2

For starter, we were served with the Chef's Seasonal Assorted Platter that came with a piece of sardine (if not mistaken) covered with a slice of radish, pan seared scallops and a wedge of tomato that tasted very strongly of red wine.
3

There are 5 selections to choose from for appetizer and bro-in-law had the Tao's Style Prawn with Tempura Oysters which is available only for dinner. I ended up having half of this plate since it was my birthday...hehe. I love the freshness of the prawn dipped with the refreshing lime chili sauce but I find the tempura oyster a bit too fishy for me. I am a raw oyster person and usually I don't opt for cooked oyster unless it is steamed with lots of garlic.
4

ICE AGE SASHIMI!!!! I was craving for sashimi for the past one week and this came just in time!
5

Next, Tao's Special Chawan Mushi or Steamed Egg which is only available for dinner. This dish is not available for the 6-course lunch which is priced at AUD38, so I assume this small bowl of steamed egg costs AUD12 and don't you think the lunch set more worth it? Anyway, the Chawan Mushi not too bad. Chunks of scallop and seafood hidden underneath the silky egg custard. However my nephew claimed that my plain steamed egg with soya sauce that I cooked for him tasted much better than this...awww...he is so sweet hor???
6

The waiter told us these were plum sorbet to cleanse our palate but where are the ice???? I shall rename it as plum juice! Nice and refreshing.
7

There are 4 selections of soup to choose from; Teapot style bonito (below), Ginseng Chicken Soup, Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Pumpkin. Bro-in-law had the ginseng chicken while Sis and I opted for the teapot bonito. Honestly, nothing to shout about as I find it a bit too bland for my tastebud.

8

Finally, my main dish was served. I was already all filled up by then. There are quite a number of selections to choose from ranging from beef, lamb, chicken, fish, seafood and to even a vegetarian dish. I was torn between having the Hot Stone Sizzling Steak on Bamboo Leave that smell so good from the next table but finally I gave in for the Confit Duck Leg with White Wine Sauce which is available only for dinner.
9

BAD choice. Duck meat was tasteless. Sauce tasted like normal creamy white sauce. I should have just gone for the steak! Well, never try never know.
10

Bro-in-law also ordered a fish dish which is only available for dinner; Rockling Sugiita-Yaki with Miso Cream. Again, it failed to impress. Both of us vowed to return for lunch soon for the beef and lamb.

11

Sis had the Japanese Grilled Chicken with Teriyaki Sauce and surprisingly hers was the best choice. But honestly, I wasn't very impress with the way they served the dish since they emphasized so much on how they focus on presentation of their dishes.
12

Rice of the day came and went back to the kitchen almost untouched. It was good, very aromatic with lots of good quality dried shrimp but we were really too full
13

Lastly, sweet dessert to end the meal. My Green Tea Panna Cotta was smooth and not too sweet. I quite like the Creme Brulee too but bro-in-law find it not sweet enough. My sis had fruit sago and was halfway finishing her dessert before I could even take a photo of it.
14

Thanks Sis, Bro-in-law and Nathan for the lovely dinner. And for Sis, I love the Coach purse and the pyjama you got me....the colour is so ME!!!

Tao's Restaurant is located at:
201 Bulleen Road,
Bulleen, VIC 3105
Reservation: 03- 9852.0777 (booking is necessary)
Trading Hours: 12 pm - 3 pm; 6pm - 10.30 pm

Closed on Mondays

Melway: 32 D7

15 comments:

Jun said...

hey, tht's a reasonably well-priced meal! must check it out when i'm thr.

btw are u anywhere near the austin hosp?

Sonia said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you.Cheers always !!!

Precious Pea said...

Jun: When you coming to Melb again???? I promise to bring you to Tao's. Austin Hospital in Heidelberg? Yes, less than 10 mins drive away from my place.

Sonia: Thank you!

UnkaLeong said...

Happy Birthday to you again! *hugs*

Call ar when you are back in town!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

happy birthday!! u knw, me n jun might join just very soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pea! Happy belated birthday - a year older a year wiser too! You are 5 min from Tao and 10 min from Austin Hospital? I'm in balwyn north, where are you?

Rachel

Stephen said...

Happy belated birthday to you! I am sure it was a blast and wish you everyday a blast as well! Eat Love Live!

mimid3vils said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Wishing you always surrounded by yummy food !!!

CUMI & CIKI said...

happy happy birthday to you!

SimpleGirl said...

Happy belated birthday!!!

Nic (KHKL) said...

and i thought tao's a chinese restaurant at first...hehehe...hepi belated birthday again, precious pea!

oh, an outlet in singapore. hmmm, i got check-check.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I'm sure you're looking forward to celebrating a Malaysian belated birthday celebration soon. :-)

Precious Pea said...

Unka: Sure sure...i waiting for you to invite me to your newly renovated house.

Njoe: CALL ME YAH!!!

Rachel: Hello!!! I am in Bulleen!!!

Stephen: Thank you :)

mimi, cumi and simplegirl: Thank you girls for the birthday wishes.

Nic: They have three other Japanese outlets in Sg, wonder if any good.

Luscious Sista: Yes, am so gonna have a feast, a crabby feast!!

Miso said...

I love to dine at Tao's restaurant too. Their menu in Singapore is very different from what you have but still, very value for money. Under Tao's management, they have 2 other restaurants, JuJu Hokkaido hotpot and Dozo. Their service is really top notch.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Happy belated Birthday!

What a feast!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online