Monday, December 28, 2009

PICK-UR-OWN CHERRIES @ Red Hill Cherry Farm

The only thing I look forward to this hot summer, apart from my trip back home to Malaysia in January, was cherry picking! I enjoyed it tremendously when I went with Hubby and my nephew 3 years ago, that was why I really looked forward to this trip again. We went two Sundays ago after I called up the farm to make sure 'pick-ur-own' cherries are still available. I am glad I did as some smaller farms are already closed for the season.
1

We went to Red Hill Cherry Farm which is one of the tourist attractions in Mornington Peninsula. Cherries are ready for picking from mid November through to early January but to avoid disappointment, do call a day before to check if there are cherries available for picking. On the day we went, there were too many people at the assigned zone (they open up their farm to visitors by section) and by lunch time, all the cherries were GONE. Many people who came much later was turned away and I saw a sign stating that the farm will only reopen two days later.
2

Yum yum...I was more interested with the 'eat-all-you-can' than the 'pick-ur-own' cherries! Entrance fee is A$10 for adults and free for kids below the age of 10. You can eat as much as you can, but whatever you bring home will be charged at A$12 per kilo. The moment we went into the farm, everyone got really excited and started attacking the cherries.
3

Plump and juicy...I always go for dark red cherries as they are really sweet and crunchy.
4

Everyone really enjoyed themselves...look at their faces!!
5

We didn't bring any home as most of the cherries were cracking due to too much rainfall near harvest this year. We can easily get good cherries from Coles and Safeway at less than A$10 per kilo.
6

Hubby, I know you must be full of envy now. Next year, we go together ok?

Red Hill Cherry Farm is located at:
61 - 69 Prossors Ln
Red Hill, Victoria 3937
Phone: 03 - 59892237 / 0407 819751
Email: trevorholmes@pac.com.au

29 comments:

Live2Talk said...

When I was at OZ, I stuffed myself with cherries also! Damn cheap! Delicious and juicy! Here in KL so expensive so more not always available :(

tigerfish said...

I want those cherries too!
Need to find some cherry-picking in California. ;D

jean` said...

Wow the cherries look awesome!

That's at least 3 hours from CBD isn't it?

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

Precious Pea said...

Live2talk: I don't remember I ever had fresh cherries back in KL. Way too expensive.

tigerfish: Cool..happy searching!

jean: Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you too! The cherry farm is about 1hr 30 mins from CBD. There are cherry farms at Yarra Valley too.

ai wei said...

i love cherries!!!

happy new year!

Selba said...

Wow! How nice that you can pick your own cherries!

Here in Jakarta, fresh cherries are soooooooo expensive! Better buy in Singapore coz' it's cheaper and still fresh.

babe_kl said...

we din manage to go to one since we cant bring back so much :p

mimid3vils said...

I wish I can experience this cause cherries are expensive here... :(

Happy 2010!!!!

wmw said...

Love the shot of the cherry that looks like a heart shape from that angle!

Tummythoz said...

Saw fruit stalls selling these at pasar malam but dare not go close. I may not be able to 'escape' with cash intact.

Precious Pea said...

ai wei: Happy New Year to you too!!

Selba: Cherries also very expensive in KL.

Babe: Actually so much cheaper to get from the fruit grocer, somemore packed nicely in box.

mimid3vils: Do come over in summer...you can pick strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, cherries, etc....

wmw: Nice hor and I can still remember what you can do to the stem! ;)

tummythoz: Hehehe..pasar malam actually not cheap hor?

UnkaLeong said...

Eh Eh...your poo mar cherry colour lor eat so much cherries? *LOL*

Early New Year greetings to you as well; ) Happy New Year! *hugs*

michelle said...

hi, cherries in malaysia never taste sweet even its imported from australia.

i found out that cherries is sweet when you just pluck from the tree. after 1 day, it become sour. same goes to strawberries.....

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Gosh...lucky girl! I can't wait to go there myself. Hopefully by next year! =D

Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. said...

This looks like a really fun experience! I will put it on my To-Do List for 2010 for sure! Along with Mushroom Hunting!! =o))

Sonia said...

This look really fun and interesting. My kids love cherries too, just bought a small box from Jusco, so expensive, but nice lor !!

Sonia said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you !!

Little Inbox said...

Of course envy lar, I'm drooling over the sweet and juicy cherry now. :(

Lianne said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Ivy! Hope you keep on discovering XXL stuff for us readers to oogle on! Hehehe ...

Precious Pea said...

Unkaleong: I didn't go check my poo's colour wor...hahaha..next time i check yah? Happy New Year to you too!!

michelle: Ahhh..thanks for the info! But i do know there are many types of cherries, some sweet some sour and there are people who goes for the sour ones. I heard there is a white one too but haven't seen any so far.

Bangsar-Babe: Great! Am sure you will enjoy Melbourne!

Vee: MUSHROOM HUNTING? WHERE WHERE???

Sonia: Next year, bring your kids over...am sure they will go crazy in the farm.

Little Inbox: Hehe..no need envy, plan a trip over!

Lianne: Happy New Year to you too!! Hahaha..here everything also XXL, maybe i should take a picture of the lalat here too.

Kavi said...

I love cherries too...used to eat alot when i was studying in UK...so cheap there and really fresh....yummy!!!!

Chaokar said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Did you make anything out of the fresh cherries?

How about mini cheery pavlova?!
Hehe

thule a.k.a leo said...

Happy New Year :)
next time bring back more cherries for us ok?

Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. said...

Hey girl, I kid you not! Check this post out

http://tummyrumbles.com/2009/06/mushroom-hunting-tours-at-moorooduc.html

- there's a link to the website in there, apparently they will announce the next season's dates in February, I am absolutely totally completely signing myself and my family up for it!

Precious Pea said...

Kavi: I hope they are still in season when I come home, plan to bring some back. Can have it over our breakfast session!

Chaokar: Never tot of making anything out of cherries...how about jam???

thule: Happy New Year to you too!

Vee: Cool!!!!! I am so gonna sign up too!

Chaokar said...

AH, i remember a recipe where they use pork bacom wrap around a cherry with a tooth pick then pop into the ovel.

sounds like a great finger food.

maybe you can try a cherry compote with cream? yummmmm

elaine said...

hey hey, i went to the same cherry farm last sat ~ hehe .... but we picked a lot back home though! my mama & daughter are so excited on picking the cherries! my mama even climb up the ladder! haha! there're a lot of cherries ripe on the tree last sat though ~ hehe

elaine said...

eh .. just now i posted the comment, how come din appear here ge? hmmm ...

i was at the same cherry farm last sat ~ hehe, and there're a lot of ripe cherries ready to be picked! my mama n daughter enjoyed picking the cherries, my mama some more climb up the ladder to pick the higher cherries! haha!

the cherries are so sweet ~~~~~ yummy!!!

hungryc said...

I love cherries, but they cost RM40/kg in the market. Looking at the pictures make me crave for them.
I want strawberries too

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online