Monday, February 01, 2010

REGAL HOUSE @ One Bangsar, KL

My first bowl of "Lap Mei Farn" (waxed meat) for the year!! 4

To me, Lap Mei Farn is a once-a-year delicacy during the Chinese New Year. This year, I am very lucky to sample a range of waxed meat brought in all the way from
Yung Kee Restaurant, the famous Michelin-awarded roasted goose restaurant in Hong Kong. True enough, 'branded' stuff really makes a huge difference. I am totally in love with the preserved goose liver sausages which is so rich in taste and the presence of Chinese wine in every bite! The waxed duck was good too. It wasn't overly salty and it didn't have the usual 'oily' smell that you find in waxed duck.
2

The waiter was scooping the waxed-meat-infused-rice into individual bowls before I rushed over for a photo. It smells so so so good. I would have no problem having it on its own without the waxed meat as it was bursting with flavour. One bite and I could taste bits and pieces of salted fish added into the rice for extra ommphh! Big thumbs up! At the end of the meal, everyone was eyeing for the burnt bits and scrapped the claypot clean!
3

The Yung Kee Waxed Meat Claypot Rice is available at Regal House at One Bangsar during the Chinese New Year season, while stocks last.
1

Regal House is the latest addition to the One Bangsar family. The chef is from Hong Kong and Regal serves innovative cuisines inspired by traditional Cantonese culinary styles. Simple and pleasantly decorated, I was told most of the furniture and fittings were brought in from China.
2

There are five VIP dining rooms on the first floor catered for business or private dining functions. A must to call and book in advance.
3

I met up with my floggers sisters,
Boolicious, AWOL and Paprika on my first visit to Regal House. We were quite impressed with the Deep Fried Lion Fish (九肚魚) in Salt & Pepper (RM13). It was lightly battered and the fish was fine and sweet. 4

Herb-Crusted Smoke Duck with Fruit Salad, very Western style don't you think? But surprise surprise, it was the star dish of the night. The duck tasted superb! Moist and tender. The garlicky crispy bits on top goes so well with the duck! This is an appetizer dish so you can either request for it to be sliced and shared, otherwise order one serving each at RM18 per serve.
6

Initially I wanted to try their Beef Brisket Soup but was told that I need to book it 3 days in advance as there are lots of preparation for that soup. So we settled for the Preserved Mustard Green with Pork Stomach Soup (RM68 serves 5). The soup was sweet with slight peppery taste and I spotted few slices of JinHua Ham (expensive dried cure ham from China).
8

The Deep Fried Spare Ribs with Garlic Black Pepper Sauce (RM25) was not too bad but I find it a bit too salty for my tastebud. Goes well with rice though. 9

The Hot Pot Kailan in Seafood Sauce (RM23) was served sizzling hot! Tried this dish once in Hong Kong and I got to say, Regal's version is milder but tastier. I love the crunchy sweet kailan stems.
10

Vietnam Fresh Prawn Pan Fried Yee Mee was done the Hong Kong style whereas I expected it to be the local "Sang Har Meen" version with lots of egg gravy. Not too bad for a change. Our serving with two big prawns was priced at RM76
(price varies depending on the weight of the prawns).
11

Lastly, Chilled Minty Lemongrass Flavoured Fruit Jelly to end the meal (RM9 per glass). The restaurant's manager insist we should drink the dessert from the glass instead of pouring it out into bowls (
we were sharing the dessert). She said it would taste better that way and so we tried. I love the refreshing taste of lemongrass and all the different types of texture in my mouth all at once.
The Lemongrasses!

13

Regal House is located at:

One Bangsar

63E Jalan Ara,
Bangsar Baru
59100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2283.3116

Email: regalhouse@live.com.my


Chinese New Year Set is now available, do call in advance to reserve!


10 comments:

CUMI & CIKI said...

omgosh! the LL looks so cute! ;) damn slim man.. what didja do.. starve her :p

Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. said...

Oh yum, lap mei fan. Back in Melbourne now which means so much less CNY atmosphere for me! Haha, babe just realized we must've like passed each other midair or something since I've JUST got back from KL and you've just gone back from Melbie! =o))

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Glad we got to hang out with each other, sista! I like the last pic.:D

Eh, looks like I need to go back to check out the lap mei farn!

Precious Pea said...

Cumi & Ciki: So luscious looking hor???

Vee: We could even be at the airport around the same time! Nothing beats being back at home!

Luscious Sista: You will surely love the lap mei farn. Hey, what about our Robson crabby dinner and also Zen??

~Christine~Leng said...

lap mei fan! making me hungry now gal! let's have a cny gathering since you're back :) food crawl? hehe.

UnkaLeong said...

Lap Mei Farn looks so gooood! Eh eh, when we meeting up to makan har?

PureGlutton said...

Oohh...haven't had Lap Mei Farn for ages! That looked real good, man!
Yeah, when is makan meet-up huh?

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

the Lap Mei Farn looks so yummy, might try this place one day.

thenomadGourmand said...

Waxed meat tht are not overly salty?
sounds like heaven to me!

Precious Pea said...

Christine: Yes, let's do a food crawl...after CNY?

Unka and Pure Glutton: I will see you both this coming Thurs??

Sonia: I just had my 2nd bowl tonite!

NomadGourmand: I can bear with the saltiness but usually i avoid waxed duck to the the 'bad oil' taste.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online