Wednesday, February 03, 2010

YAKITORI @ SUMI-KA, Subang Jaya

I love venturing for food with my Makan Gang as they eat absolutely anything and everything, with boundless appetite being the greatest bonus. Last week, we went around scouting for good food from Cheras to Ulu Klang and finally back to Subang Jaya for our last stop for the day at Sumi-Ka. Sumi-Ka is a Japanese grill house specializing in Yakitori (Japanese style grilled chicken skewer) owned by a Japanese. With open kitchen, oppss...it should be 'open-griller' concept, you can opt to sit along the counter-top to watch the Japanese chef in action. Well, provided you don't mind ended up smelling like a Yakitori from top to toe after your meal.
1

Judging from the name tag on the bottles of unfinished sake and wine on their cabinet, it is evident that their major clientele are Japanese. True enough, the place was soon filled up with Japanese expatriates coming for 'happy hour' after work.
2

Being a Yakitori restaurant, there are more chicken dishes in the menu, with a few choices of beef and seafood. We aimed to try as much as we could, and what could be easier than ordering everything in the menu? And so, we ordered 2 skewers of everything under the chicken category ranging from RM3 - RM5 per skewers.

I was never a fan of chicken innards, well, I have changed my mind now. The bite-sized pieces of chicken gizzard and heart were grilled to perfection. Seasoned with just salt, it was delicious! I didn't try the chicken liver but I heard it was good too. Heard of chicken blood vessel?? Yep, I had that too! Delicious!3

For the first time in my life, I finally had my first taste of chicken tail. Which part? Chicken backside lah! Initially I was skeptical to try but how could I walk away not trying when my Makan Gang kept raving about it? Once I bit on it, I couldn't stop helping myself to more. Seasoned with salt, it was really crispy and aromatic. Not oily as I expected and definitely no unwelcomed smell. I reckon it was even better than having crispy pork fats. Do try their chicken neck meat too, very soft and juicy.
4

Take your pick! Chicken Breast Meat with Wasabi, Ume (sour plum) or Mentai Mayonnaise? If you are not a fan of breast meat, skip these and go for tender juicy thigh meat. 5

I was told the skewer on the left was muscle meat while the one on the right is chicken thigh. Both equally good.
6

Want something to munch on? How about Chicken Soft Bones? 7

Chicken meatballs and pieces of chicken thigh with spring onions were drenched in tare sauce. Richer in taste and very yummy too.
9

My favourite chicken wing was grilled to perfection. Crispy skin with juicy meat. No marinade, only seasoned with salt. Another recommendation goes to the grilled chicken skin. Why all the good stuff so unhealthy hor?

10

Quail Eggs, who doesn't like them?
11

Before I go on with more meat, here are some photos of the veggies we had. Complimentary fresh cabbage is given with any purchase while the grilled mushroom and green chilies is in the menu. Sadly, they don't have grilled leek in the menu and I was really longing for that.
12

Next, we move on to beef. We had the beef ribs with spicy miso sauce and beef ribs with miso sauce. Tender but nothing memorable.
13

I had the first piece of beef tongue in my life.....verdict?? Not too bad but I would rather save my stomach quota for chicken tail, chicken skin, chicken wings, chicken neck meat, chicken gizzard, etc..............
14

There are also a number of special dishes written in Japanese characters on a small signboard. Clueless on what they were, we ordered all the 10 dishes. Sliced Eringi Mushroom, Bacon wrapped with something gooey and chewy (clueless) and bacon wrapped with something crunchy, it could be turnip.
15

Bacon wrapped with Fish Roes.....not bad!!
16

Unidentified black object in the middle. The waiter told us the name in Japanese. Texture was soft, gooey and chewy.
17

No idea if this was supposed to be enoki mushroom wrapped with bacon, I guess it should be but I find the presentation quite errmm....messy.
18

Baked Shimeji Mushroom in Butter Sauce was one of their special...nothing memorable.
19

Finally, grilled pork trotter seasoned with salt. Savour the crispy skin, then devour the gelatinous bits.....honestly, I was so stuffed by then, I could only take one bite.
20

Overall, am very happy with the excellent service and the fantastic Yakitori. This is definitely a place I will return in very near future. Booking is necessary as the place is quite small and it was full the night we went. Refer to the location map below and Sumi-Ka is located on the 1st floor.
21

Sumi-Ka is located at:
No. 19, 1st Floor, Jalan SS15/4
47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor
Tel: 03-56329312 or 016-2249312 (Mr Kiyoshi Ota)
Email: otakiyo69@yahoo.co.jp

15 comments:

boo_licious said...

I want some yakitori! Yums, everything looks so good!

kampungboycitygal said...

welcome back! wow will put this into my makan list. i'll probably order everything too, other than the chicken pet pet hehez

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

reminds me of the yakitori place in gardens hotel..but this looks cheaper n just as shiok!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

start your makan hunting already huh! I love Yakitori, and this place is so near but I did not know till you recommended, ok, I must go to makan this weekend.

terri@adailyobsession said...

beef tongue is yummy, pp. i must cook it for u one day so u'll be convinced...

Nic (KHKL) said...

precious pea is back! woohoo! satay jepun is best eaten with a group of friends, cos can order EVERYTHING from the menu to try. oooh, must remember japanese beer too! ;D

Precious Pea said...

Boo: Am sure you will love this place too.

kampungboycitygal: No lor, you should really really try the pet pet! Very yummy stuff.

NJoe: I always wanted to try the one at Gardens but for sure, this one is really value for money.

Sonia: Do remember to make booking.

Terri: I so wanna be 'convinced' by you. So shall i fly to KK or you fly to Melb??

Nic: Bila you balik to KL?
We ordered Choya that night...next visit will order Japanese beer!

sc said...

these yakitoris looks excellent! i wanna bite into one! :p

thule a.k.a leo said...

fuh.. luckily I'm familia with SS15's road... should be easy to find!!!

Julian Si said...

A restauranteur once recommended this eatery, and I did give it a go. Hmmm... I should have ordered the "top secret 10 japanese only items"!

Hmmm, I wasn't too impressed by the service during my visit, http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2009/05/sumi-ka-japanese-yakitori-subang.html But I am glad to hear they are better now!

kootoo said...

nice to know you're back in the ol' town. i also live in Aust, but will be going back for holiday in a week. The food is so much colourful back home, dont u think? Have a great time there, take in as much as u can and plz keep posting!! Cheers

ai wei said...

welcome back ^^

yakitori sounds nice and best with beer or any drink. but this place... is super far away horrr...

Pureglutton said...

Wow - they certainly don't waste any part of the chicken! All look yummy!

nicolas yongco jr said...

"Baked Shimeji Mushroom in Butter Sauce was one of their special...nothing memorable." - Teach me how to make the sauce.

wall clock

wall painting

clock Singapore

Life for Beginners said...

Oh I have been on a yakitori craving rampage of late, having it 2-3 times a week at my neighbourhood udon/yakitori diner. Now this place seems to have so many more choices! Thanks for recommending it. :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online