Thursday, April 01, 2010

THE KING & I

Few nights ago, my brother-in-law managed to set us a dinner date with someone from the royal family. He is the King of all crabs...KING CRAB!! This is my first taste of a king crab, boy oh boy, can you imagine how excited I was?
1

Before the King was presented to us, we were served Hot & Sour soup with special added ingredients....chunks and chunks of sweet crab roes from the King! Finely shredded bamboo shoots, wood-ear fungus and Cha Siu (BBQ pork) were also added into the soup for crunchy texture. I find the soup wasn't hot and sour enough but with a dash of pepper and red vinegar, it was very terrific!
2

King's body was stir-fried with ginger and scallions served over noodles at the bottom of the dish. The noodles were delicious as it fully coated the gravy from the crabs. This is a common style of cooking crabs here. It is one of my favourite style as the gravy is not too overpowering, hence you can still taste the sweetness of the crab.
3

The crabs legs were cooked with Salted Egg Yolk but I prefer the way we do it back in KL. I find this too oily and I could barely taste the salted egg yolk.
4

I find the texture of King Crab is almost similar to spider crab and flower crab. The meat is softer and more delicate but not as sweet as compared to mud crab. The King weighed about 4.5 kilograms and costs around AUD330 (~RM1,000).
5

We met King at The Treasure Restaurant at Forest Hill and prior appointment to meet King is required.

The Treasure Restaurant is located at:
482 Springvale Road
Forest Hill, 3131 Victoria
Tel: 03- 9803.2388
Fax: 03- 9887.8403

18 comments:

wmw said...

Wah, looks great...but the King Crab looks really crabby too! The "facial" expression so grumpy, hahahah...

thule a.k.a leo said...

I almost fainted at the sight of the magnificient crustacean :P

Somewhere in Singapore said...

OMG, the crabs is super super yummy!!!

tigerfish said...

Char Siew in the soup? That's new to me.

mimid3vils said...

it really cost a bomb huh~~ o.O

ai wei said...

this royal family is super super HUGE larrrr.

Anonymous said...

Really miss this restaurant's food leh. You should try the Yong Taufu or Petaling Street at Glen Waverley too.

Tummy Rumble said...

the price there is slightly cheaper than KL.. The crab looks good.. This Australian King Crab is supposedly famous for its roe.. The last time I had it, its roe was steamed in the shell with chicken egg.. We had the meat cooked in the restaurant's superior stock that tasted like the base for sharks fin soup.. just thinking about it made me hungry again.. lol

Precious Pea said...

WMW: He sure looks grumpy, of course la, it wasn't a pleasant date (for him).

thule: So grand looking hor?

Somewhere in Sg: I can imagine cooking King in smooth porridge. YumYum!

tigerfish: Good substitute for shredded pork!

mimid3vils: Certainly not cheap after conversion. But if you don't convert and earn AUD, it's so affordable.

ai wei: That is why it is called King Crab.

Anonymous: Their roasted pigeon very good too! I will try the other shops you recommended one day, thanks!

Tummy Rumble: Goodness...my tummy rumbles when I imagine how good the steamed roes with egg you had. Actually I would prefer using half the crabs for porridge.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wah u must bring me there when i come over!! but i dont think i can afford AUD300 till i find a job hehe..got prince crab ar?

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

wor, this makes me salivating, really delicious but too expensive!

ai wei said...

i am thinking is there anything bigger than King??? :P

superwilson said...

I loved fresh king crab. Awesome stuff!

CUMI & CIKI said...

looks fantabulous!

msihua said...

Oh yummm.. that must be a super expensive dinner...

~Christine~Leng said...

this is sinful.. i want some!!

jason said...

RM1000!? O_O"

Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. said...

We both met kings this week! That crab looks insane!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online