Wednesday, April 28, 2010

PAO XIANG BAK KUT TEH @ Tmn Berkeley, Klang

While my huge pot of Bak Kut Teh (Pork in Herbal Broth) is bubbling away nicely on my stove, I knew it's about time to update my blog with a new post. The weather has been pretty chilly for the past few days and all I could think of is Bak Kut Teh to warm my tummy. And so, today's post...Bak Kut Teh! During my visit back to Malaysia couple of months ago, I am proud to say, I finally ventured into Klang for food. Driving into Taman Berkeley, we stumbled upon many shops offering Bak Kut Teh, not surprising as Klang is synonymous with this dish.

We decided to give Pao Xiang a try since it was crowded although it was already late afternoon. While studying their menu, I was happy that they serve the meat in individual portion instead of dumping everything in a claypot. I never like the claypot version especially when lettuce, mushroom and fried beansheet are added to "adultrate" the soup. Once, I even came across Choy Sum in my bak kut teh, what a big turn off! Anyway, generally each portion is priced between RM8 - RM8.50 depending on the cut you want, RM10 for tendon and RM35 for sea cucumber.

1

I like my Bak Kut Teh piping hot, do you? Each bowl is placed on top of a candle burner to ensure every single drop of soup is hot. Personally, I always go for milder TeoChew Bak Kut Teh over the thick Klang Hokkien version. But I am bowled over by Pao Xiang's version. It was full of flavour, not overly thick or bitter and rich with sweetness from the pork. Even my dad and bro-in-law agreed Pao Xiang is way much better than Teluk Pulai. Ok, reason being, they too are not a fan of adulterated claypot bak kut teh. Soup is refillable upon request but i noticed that they are very stingy with the soup.
3

This is their famous string-tied piece of trotter and it is said that the tying-up process seals the natural pork flavour and prevent the meat from breaking up. It was fork tender and flavourful indeed. In fact, it was cooked to perfection especially the soft yet still chewy gelatinous skin....oooo....needless to say, it was the part where we attacked first, leaving all the lean meat to savour the last.
4

This, if I am not wrong, is 'Sui Kuat' or small bones. Equally PERFECT skin, equally fork tender meat.
5

This is my favourite part...known as "Ka Chak" in Hokkien. If cholesterol is not in your dictionary, go for this. Lots of skin and my favourite chewy tendon. Seriously good stuff!
6

Another sinful serve of trotter, which part? No idea. But one thing for sure, if you like fats you will surely enjoy this.
7

Multi-layered pork belly........our all time favourite.
9

Moving on to some 'spare parts'.......tada.....multi-layered intestines. No unpleasant taste but I don't quite like it. I find it a little bit too thick and hard.
10

Ahh...I could have a whole bowl of pork stomach. So tenderly delicious!
11

Of course with all the amount of pork fats we had, hot Chinese tea is a must to wash away the oil.
12

We ended up visiting Pao Xiang 3 times in one week. Why? Cos my dad super impressed with the Bak Kut Teh here. Can you see how satisfying he was after a hearty meal?
13

They currently have 5 outlets, not sure if the pricing and quality the same for all, but here are the addresses:

Taman Berkeley:
No. 51, Lebuh Bangau
Taman Bekerley, 41150 Klang
Tel: 03 - 3342.9869

Centro Mall:
Lot G127 & G128, Ground Floor Centro Mall
No.8 Jalan Batu Tiga Lama, 41300 Klang
Tel: 03-3348.8869

Puchong Jaya:
No. G-12 & G-14 Jalan Kenari 12B
Bandar Puchong Jaya
Tel: 03-8075.3288

One Utama:
P282 Lower Ground Floor Promenade
1 Utama Shopping Centre
Tel: 03-7725.2599

Pavillion KL
Lot 6.38, Level 6
No. 168 Jln Bukit Bintang
Tel: 03-2148.6388

27 comments:

Gratitude said...

Whao, I wuz juz thinking of PaoXiang this morning.Took a frog blogger to their Centro branch on Sunday at noon but wuz turned away ~ sold out!
Love the fact that they air-conditioned and hv candle burners coz I like my fatty meat to stay warm. Delectable!

Will surely wanna meet up with you and Ms. Kitty the next time you're back! ^-^
+Ant+

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

I tried their Centro mall is not really good, that one in Berkerly is good, but can not add broth much..anyway, all look yummy!

Life for Beginners said...

Not had BKT in ages! *drools*

MaryMoh said...

Mmm...every dish looks very delicious. Just what I miss!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

after nicole moved over to subang, i havent had any klang bkt!

mimid3vils said...

Actually I scare the fat fat pork but people said that is the best part with lots of collagen :P

thule a.k.a leo said...

Actually I prefer Mo Sang Kor compared to Pao Xiang because I found that the herbal taste in the former's soup is thicker and stronger than the latter.
But there's only 2 places where I can go for Mo Sang Kor.. Klang (3 outlets but the nearest will be Berkeley Park) and Hutong Lot 10 (too far)
So the next best thing will be Pao Xiang in 1Utama... after all, it's only less than 5 min drive from my house. Price-wise definitely more expensive compared to Berkeley Park but it's about convenience.. plus it's air-conditioned too!

Precious Pea said...

Gratitude: This one at Taman Berkeley must go early too. 3 times also didn't get to try their spare ribs and tendon cos sold out. I guess must go breakfast instead of lunch. Would love to meet up but definitely not over Bak Kut Teh as Miss Kitty doesn't take BKT. Hehe.

Sonia: They are so stingy with their soup isn't it?? We thick skin, so we keep asking for refill.

Kenny: Aiyooo...you can easily get BKT, unlike me here.

Mary: They are really yummy, do try when you get a chance.

Joe: Subang still very close to Klang. When coming over???

mimid3vils: I hate soft mushy pork fat but this one is cooked to perfection, so it's not 'jelak'
at all.

thule: Mo Sang Kor was closed so we didn't get to try. I know what you mean, with the heat in KL, sometimes i rather pay extra to compromise quality as long as i don't have to drench in sweat.

KY said...

omg i need to go to this place!

Mr Lonely said...

nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

lishapisa said...

Been enjoying your blog.
Wish we had a restaurant like the Bak Kut Teh here in NYC. Guess we will have to make it!
Just look at all that gelatinous!! can't take it :)
We have given you a " Happy 101 Award" : http://cookng.blogspot.com/
as your blog had stimulated our tummies!
CookNg Sisters

Precious Pea said...

KY: Do try it out...especially the tendon. Slurps!

Mr Lonely: Hello! Thanks for leaving me a comment. Will hop over to yours in a minute and do drop by more often!

Lishapisa: Thank you for the award and am glad you enjoy reading my blog. Your blog is awesome too!!

terri@adailyobsession said...

omgoodness, this is awesome! i must show wey your photos. he'll be drooling at the pork leg! kl food rocks man!

terri@adailyobsession said...

i'll go to kl just for this!

Little Inbox said...

Multi-layered intestines? Totally new to me. :)

Tummy Rumble said...

Food looks good.. Looks a little posh.. Takes away the typical 'bak kut teh at a shabby looking hawker atmosphere'.. Good for those who can't stand hawker places though.. haha :)

Life for Beginners said...

True true, it's easier for us to get BKT here in Malaysia. Should appreciate it more! :D

J2Kfm said...

Go for Mo Sang Kor, instead of Pao Xiang, really. WAY better, the soup so thick and robust.

HairyBerry said...

woah, this brand is really happening. almost a year ago, i was at the same stall and there was none of those aromatherapy pots. i like the fact that each one can order an individual knuckle. no need to share...ALL MINE! hehehe.

UnkaLeong said...

My dad say nice wor. Tomorrow morning he will be tar-baoing some over for me :D

tigerfish said...

You know I never seem to crave BKT when I am in S'pore but when I am in the US, I crave for it in the colder months. Yes, the weather helps me decide, I guess.

jason said...

We always go to the 1U branch. I'm kinda accustomed to the taste by now but some of my friends think the soup were not enough.

foodbin said...

delicious!

CUMI & CIKI said...

look at the fat on that thing! damn shiok!

hope chest said...

Asian foods are the best! Those dishes are unusual and never seen in other country but I can assure you that all of those foods are the best!

Anonymous said...

we just tried the BKT at Pao Xiang at Mid Valley. I agreed that the BKT is not bad BUT the services is not recommended !!! Many customers ask for more soup (including our table) they only added a very small bowl for 4 persons sharing and NO MORE additional soup added.
Because we have ordered a lot of Oil Stick (Yu Tiao) we like to eat that with soup but to our surprised that they refused to give us more soup and not even we like to pay for the soup. The answer from them is NO !!! they ask us to finish the rest of the foods without soup then.
They said that that is their rules .. what kind of rules that BKT can not provide more soup to customer. therefore we decided not to go back to this BKT shop anymore !!! so angry...

MicHelLe said...

Said hai to all pao xiang supporter. (include me)

For the more information, puchong jaya at jalan kenari was not their branch. Their branch at puchong jaya was moved to bandar puteri : 55-G, Jalan Puteri 1/4, Bandar Puteri, 47100 Puchong.
Tel : 03-8063 9363

Beside that, they also have a brach at SS15, Subang Jaya.
Add : No.56, Jalan SS15/4, 46500 Subang Jaya.
Tel : 03-5621 1779

At that branch, they are doing special promotion set for breakfast & lunch. Their business hour as below:
Monday to Friday : 10am to 3pm & 5pm to 10pm.
Weekends & Public Holiday : 8.30am to 3pm & 5pm to 10pm.

I heard the latest news, coming soon Kepong will have a branch too.

Anonymous : I agree with u..I also faced this problem before BUT now im understand them because one of the outlet manager give me a good explain. He said : " Our soup did not added any extra water into the soup. Our soup are well-boiled soup, meat and a bowl of soup each weight are limited,
Therefore, the soup is not enough sometimes occur supply situation and hope that customers will forgive us. You will choose a bowl of refined soup or few bowl but tasteless soup? "

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online