Saturday, May 15, 2010

HOMEGROWN MUSHROOMS

I am taking my gardening skill to a new height. I just grew my first batch of mushrooms!! I bought my mushroom kit from Bunnings Warehouse. Not cheap though, at $20 per kit (approximately RM60+), I was initially doubting how much mushrooms I could grow from this small Styrofoam box. But hey, I was way too curious to give this a pass, so I happily carried my new baby home.
1

There is a packet of mushroom compost and a packet of peat moss inside the box. A simply instruction is included. All I have to do was to spread the mushroom compost evenly over the box, followed by the peat moss.
3

Have to keep the compost moist at all times. As mushrooms grow optimally in warm and damp conditions, I kept my baby inside the garage.
4

In less than two weeks, mould appeared all over the compost. YAY!!!!
5

In another week or so, white round balls were popping out here and there....they are so ADORABLE!
6

In another 2 weeks, the mushrooms were ready to be harvested. To harvest, gently twist the mushrooms to break away from compost.
7

I was too busy with my new restaurant and neglected my babies till I visited them yesterday morning. All along, I tot they were button mushrooms but they have turned into Portobello!!!
8

I did a search in Google and found out that white button mushrooms are the youngest form of Agricus bisporus. If left to grow, it turns into Crimini mushrooms. When Crimini mushrooms are left to grow another 2-3 days, they turn into Portobello mushrooms. Now, isn't that amazing?? Definitely $20 well spent for the experience...now am looking forward to my 2nd harvest, 3rd, 4th and so on!
9

11 comments:

wmw said...

I want!!!!!!!!!!! Take care, please rest as much as you can ah...in between the busy periods.

Life for Beginners said...

Oh lovely... Mushrooms that keep on going and keep on giving! :P

ai wei said...

cool!!! i also want ur homegrown mushrooms! <3

noobcook said...

hehehe amazing! never knew it's possible to grow your own mushrooms :O

Tummy Rumble said...

nice... haha.. certainly educated me on mushrooms..

mimid3vils said...

Wow, Amazing!!! I wish to plant my own mushroom too!!

babe_kl said...

wow this is amazing. thanks for the info, din know this is how one get portobello

UnkaLeong said...

Woo! Tasty looking mushrooms ;) You have green fingers lah, everything you grow turns out so well :D

Stephen said...

hey... how have you been?? I was at Bunnings the other day and thought of getting some too... hehe... you have a restaurant?? where is it?? I can come over and try. :D

The Travelling Ulcer said...

That is fantastic. Will have to get myself one of those! How many harvests do you think you'll get out of the one box? Can you just buy spores?

tigerfish said...

I would love to grow some too if I get a chance :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online